Mitsubishi 8.5kw ecodan

Taff

7 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Wonder how that works - will have to investigate.

I believe its because the monoblocks have a far less convoluted initial start up and run time so the split units tend to fire up 'for a good reason'. From the various suppliers and installers I've spoken to, the split units have to be justified for that choice of 'weapon' to be warranted. That's what I've picked up on from having many of these types of conversations over the years anyway. As always, anyone considering such an install should do their own due diligence and make sure the chosen equipment is fit for their particular instance rather than take generalised information from anywhere else.

My experiences of this type of unit go back 2 years, and I see HP's have come on quite a bit in that period.   

Edited by Nickfromwales

On 02/07/2020 at 00:11, SuperJohnG said:

Interestingly I just noticed @Stones you have a 8.5kW with the 300L (I'm sure I'd read that before on your blog but forgot). I was sure id seen that pairing for sale on numerous places but now seems to be the 300l offered with the 11.2 and 14 only ( admittedly I havent tried really realy hard to find someone selling that combo). 

Yes, 8.5kW monobloc with 300 litre cylinder.  Generally, the packages offered with the 8.5kW came with a smaller cylinder, my feeling that these are primarily marketed at developers and installers as 'about right'. I simply specified what I wanted.  Being brutal, a developer probably isn't interested in whether you have the right capacity cylinder for family use, they are concerned with what SAP says you should use, and cost.  

On 03/07/2020 at 12:16, Taff said:

just contacted Mitsubishi uk and they have stated that your correct. The standard 300L would need a minimum of 11kw. He mentioned that the solar tank could be run with the 8.5kw. 

I’m sure there’s folk on here running an 8.5kw with a standard 300ltr! I may be wrong

We have run with a 8.5kW and 300 litre cylinder for over 3 years without problem - have never run out of hot water (which I can't say in a previous house when we had a 200 litre cylinder). The only issue with a small ASHP and large cylinder is the reheat time is longer, but if you don't run out of water in the first place, that really isn't a factor.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stones said:

We have run with a 8.5kW and 300 litre cylinder for over 3 years without problem - have never run out of hot water (which I can't say in a previous house when we had a 200 litre cylinder). The only issue with a small ASHP and large cylinder is the reheat time is longer, but if you don't run out of water in the first place, that really isn't a factor.  

Thanks @Stones. Out-of interest what is the reheat time? 

Anyone know if the 11.5kw Ecodan is one of the double fan units rather than single. If it a double then I assume the actual unit is a lot taller with the second fan being above the lower one.

We are also looking at this system but need a 300L tank and can't seem to get this combo anywhere.

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Here is a link to the manual https://www.thefloorheatingwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Ecodan_Heatpump_PUHZ.pdf

The 11.2kW and 14kW are double fan units.

If you can get away with 8.5kW that is single fan

Thanks Dave,

I just found another manual for the PUHZ-W112VAA (example of the unit here - https://www.saturnsales.co.uk/Ecodan-PUHZ-W112VAA-With-Hot-Water-Cylinder.html).

Anyway, the manual states the PUHZ-W112VAA is a single fan which sounds promising. (https://www.mitsubishi-les.info/database/servicemanual/files/201803_ATW_DATABOOK.pdf)

I had EEC recommend the LG system but based on some other posts, including yours, I'm leaning towards the Ecodan. Given half the property is an older cottage and half is new extension if they do the 11.5kw in a single fan that sounds perfect for us.

Cheers

Matt