CIL exception and completion date

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

Is that completion the date of the building control completion certificate?

If so whats the minimum stage of build can that completion certificate get issued?

Yes from the date of the completion certificate.

You have to have everything in place to meet building regs so decorative stuff can be done afterwards. The 3 month countdown for VAT reclaim kicks in then too (or even earlier in some cases if you’ve moved in). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nod said:

We moved in with a Electric and gas cert No landscaping to the outside 

Temporary disabled ramp 

Local authority BC where happy to sign us off 

Cill Three years from that day 

B9F95F78-AD65-48F1-AA83-EE91708FA792.jpeg

758BEB85-C81E-4EE7-9B36-8A39486285DE.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Temp said:

Just remember you can't reclaim VAT on items purchased after completion. At least you can't normally but there are exceptions.

I thought they were still allowing this until you sent the claim off, ie within the period between completion and sending the claim? 

The rules are very ambiguous. When we made our claim all the guides and magazine articles said you couldn't claim for anything after completion. Newsgroups and forums recommended purchasing materials before completion just to get the VAT back.

The claim forms say you aren't allowed to claim for work done on a completed house purchased from a developer (but I recognise that's not the question).

The forms also say "A building is normally considered to be completed when it has been finished according to its original plans." But what plans would they be? Planning drawings never show enough detail to determine completion accurately. Building Control drawings aren't even mandatory.

In my view the only safe thing to do is buy everything you want to reclaim VAT on, then get a completion certificate and reclaim within three months. Anything else, for example buying stuff after completion, is a risk. As is moving in early and getting a completion certificate years later.

I'm concerned that some people may have got away with claiming stuff purchased after completion simply because the person handling the claim at HMRC missed it.