New build internet

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

What prices are you seeing from EE?

We don't get a three signal at all, but get a good EE signal, but I don't  see anything that comes anywhere close to the cheap unlimited deals that three offer.

The unlimited sim is £34 a month so double the price really im averaging about 120gb a month most unlimited sims have a 1tb/ month fair allowance

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

On site . Ariel outside at around head height . Download 20mb / upload 8mb 

Not too bad . Will now try Ariel at back of build 

I am following this as my mobile signal is dire but most  of Bristol has a good signal, how many bars do you get on your phone outside ?

Ok !

the problem with speed net is it chooses an ‘optimal’ host it would seem at random !

So in the same location I can get anything between 2mb and 22mb - depending on host !!! . Assume there’s some configuration on the router that allows you to choose hosts ....

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I am following this as my mobile signal is dire but most  of Bristol has a good signal, how many bars do you get on your phone outside ?

Phone wise ( when I’m above ground ) 3 or 4 - not an issue . This modem though !! You can 4 bars and get a relatively slow speed or 3 bars and it’s actually faster . I think which host it picks is critical.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ariel is a washing powder.  An Aerial is a device for receiving radio signals.

I'll get my coat.

I know ! I give up correcting spell check . Every time I try to type ring or sing etc . It’s first choice is “f’ing” - guess it’s learnt too much !!

Glad I saw this thread. I'm in rural Dumfries and Galloway on an exchange only line and get about 3 down and 0.2 up.

Today I stuck my EE phone sim in a TPlink 4g router and now get 55 down and 7 up, very happy. Am I correct in thinking that mobile companies can no longer get uppity if you use a phone sim in a data device, I can get an unlimited data phone sim for about £30 a month, I pay 28 for the slow broadband so for 2 quid I'd be gettin a much better service.

It appears from a bit of Google work that you can indeed now just use the phone SIM on EE. There is a limit of 1000GB a month and they say that they will consider more than 12 devices to be commercial use. Not clear if they mean simultaneously.

Not sure why they offer data sims if this is the case.They are much more expensive.

Three is cheaper at £22 a month for unlimited here including the router, plus £60 cashback. But I don't know what their signal is like in your area.

https://store.three.co.uk/view/content/mbasket?ID=1666&ty=aff&link_id=fc&link_ref=M2jgsvXi5djSBFc0XIs*NE*Hu3SDTTR&aff_id=128