New build internet

Nearing the point where I need to get this installed .

Been wondering though if this sort of thing might be better 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-MR1100-100EUS-Nighthawk-Downloading-Streaming/dp/B079H2LX8X/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=nighthawk&qid=1582376186&sr=8-3

Anyone use this type of thing as a permanent internet connection ?

Though you have the relatively high initial cost would work out cheaper in the long term than a £30/£40 a month ‘wired’ ISP ( plus maybe additional install cost ) .

You'd still need a data sim for it.

You are probably looking at around £30 a month for unlimited data. Data sims seem to be more expensive than phone sims as they know that you are likely to use more data.

You'd still only get whatever speed is available on the data network in your area which is probably anywhere between 20 and 80Mbps. It might well be faster than on your phone as it will have a better antenna, but I'd start by seeing what speed you get on your phone. Of course speeds can very a lot in any given area by network.

Assuming you have FTTC available you would probably pay around £20-30 a month for a similar service with a lower upfront cost.

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

I see 5g unlimited sim only deals for around £18per month . So need to factor that in . 5g will eventually replace Wi-Fi and indeed some ISPs say even wired connections ....

That would probably be a mobile phone Sim, they won't let you use that in this kind of product.

Three will give you an unlimited phone sim for #18 a month and you can tether that to a device and use the data.

But if you put a sim in a non phone it needs to be a data sim. Their data sim is £29 a month for 100GB.

9 minutes ago, AliG said:

That would probably be a mobile phone Sim, they won't let you use that in this kind of product.

Three will give you an unlimited phone sim for #18 a month and you can tether that to a device and use the data.

But if you put a sim in a non phone it needs to be a data sim. Their data sim is £29 a month for 100GB.

Ah right!

So for that night hawk type thing you would need a data sim of around £29 a month - not much of a saving really 

Though I see 3 do a 5g home modem for £29 a month unlimited data .

Tempted by this . No upfront costs , no install . Also means later can swap/ upgrade to 5g ( my postcode currently only supports 4g ) 

When 5G comes along this will be a very good option. But I think you could be talking a few years outside of city centres where they want to install it to reduce network congestion.

A lot depends on how much data you use and what for. We run Netflix etc constantly, 4G should be fast enough for this.

What you would notice using 4G is the latency will be worse so it might take a few seconds for a website to start to load etc.

Do you actually have a phone line installed, it can be a bit of a hassle to deal with Openreach and get it organised?

If you do have a phone line I would use that and then compare the 5G deals when they come available, if putting in a phone line is a problem, then 4G may be a better option. Three would give you a 5G router if you had 5G home broadband so you wouldn't have to buy this box.

Every time I look at this, the only one that is viable is Three's All you can eat unlimited data sim for about £25 per month (or whatever offer they might have sometimes)

Only trouble is no three network coverage here. Still waiting in hope.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AliG said:

When 5G comes along this will be a very good option. But I think you could be talking a few years outside of city centres where they want to install it to reduce network congestion.

A lot depends on how much data you use and what for. We run Netflix etc constantly, 4G should be fast enough for this.

What you would notice using 4G is the latency will be worse so it might take a few seconds for a website to start to load etc.

Do you actually have a phone line installed, it can be a bit of a hassle to deal with Openreach and get it organised?

If you do have a phone line I would use that and then compare the 5G deals when they come available, if putting in a phone line is a problem, then 4G may be a better option. Three would give you a 5G router if you had 5G home broadband so you wouldn't have to buy this box.

Don’t have a phone line - haven’t used one in 20  years - hate you have to pay ‘line rental ‘ for something you don’t use 

My hunch is that insulation in and of itself is quite transparent to the radio signals used for telecoms. I suspect that its foil-coated membranes (such as some aluminium-coated reflective breather membranes) and other metal frame parts of the build that can create a form of Faraday cage.

For this reason, and keen to have reception indoors, I have chosen a non-metallised breather membrane and am avoiding using a steel-lattice-support structure for my brick slips (which was prohibitively expensive anyhow).

13 minutes ago, AliG said:

How well does your phone work in the house, we get very slow 4G speeds inside as insulation and triple glazing cut out most of the signal. You would probably need an external antenna to get a decent speed.

We've found that our house seems to be pretty effective at blocking RF, too.  We don't get much of any sort of signal here, but the house does seem to block a lot.  We don't have any foil anywhere, so I can only assume that it's the blown cellulose that is attenuating the signal, together with the sputtered metal coating on two panes within the 3G glazing.

We're using one of these huawei b593 it accepts an external aerial so you can a good signal under most conditions. It's only 4G not 5G but is very easy to setup and as it's old kit it's peanuts. Our dat sim is from 3 mobile and is £15 for 20GB which is enough for us provided we don't binge on TV streaming, however having said that the 3 Go Binge feature means most TV data is not coming out of your data allowance ?

We've used this setup on our narrow boat for four years and it's been very reliable...hope I  haven't cursed it.

• Thanks 1

My neighbours laugh at me because I am often hanging out of a window to make a mobile call!!!?I wouldnt mind getting something to replace the expensive landline for data, I don’t use my landline fir voice calls.!

Edited by joe90

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My neighbours laugh at me because I am often hanging out of a window to make a mobile call!!!?

The narrow boat hull is a pretty effective Faraday cage so having an external aerial is a must, it also means we can set up the  phone to do VOIP  when we have no phone signal.

5G will be worse for use indoors due to running at higher frequencies. The higher the frequency the less well a signal penetrates solid objects.

In the US the Verizon home 5G service needs an external aerial which needs line of site to the node. They currently run on a much higher frequency called millimetre wave which cannot penetrate walls, trees etc and has a very short range, but will be moving to a similar frequency to the UK in future.

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

My hunch is that insulation in and of itself is quite transparent to the radio signals used for telecoms.

+1

My TV aerial is in the loft. I replaced a foil covered panel with one without foil and it works ok. The foil covered insulation in the walls seems to block 4G and wifi pretty well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

Deliberately choose the non Alexa version ...

Probably wise. 

The Panorama programme about the extent of Amazon's data capture was pretty astounding, even for someone like me that's suspected it for a long time.  Interesting to find out that they plan to increase the voice recognition capability so that they can analyse all speech their devices capture (not just that before and after the "Alexa" trigger word") with the aim of using that to better target advertising.  The aim would be to pick up words like "holiday", or "illness" and then use that to improve the personal profiles they have of everyone who has ever used Amazon.

Also pretty interesting to read the article by one of the researchers for the programme, who discovered that Amazon have logged the time, date, location, book being read, even every page turn on his Kindle.  There were something like 30,000 separate data items just covering his use of this device.  Makes me glad I use a non-internet connected Pocketbook as an ereader.

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Probably wise. 

The Panorama programme about the extent of Amazon's data capture was pretty astounding, even for someone like me that's suspected it for a long time.  Interesting to find out that they plan to increase the voice recognition capability so that they can analyse all speech their devices capture (not just that before and after the "Alexa" trigger word") with the aim of using that to better target advertising.  The aim would be to pick up words like "holiday", or "illness" and then use that to improve the personal profiles they have of everyone who has ever used Amazon.

Also pretty interesting to read the article by one of the researchers for the programme, who discovered that Amazon have logged the time, date, location, book being read, even every page turn on his Kindle.  There were something like 30,000 separate data items just covering his use of this device.  Makes me glad I use a non-internet connected Pocketbook as an ereader.

I plan to have nothing cloud based with my HA ..... etc