Spreadsheet for tracking and VAT reclamation

Mandana

Hello there

We're new to the forums and about to embark on our first self-build. We were wondering if anyone has an example of an expense spreadsheet they could share that will help us keep our finances in order, and for it to be a good tool at the end for VAT? I've tried to find some online but none seem specific to our needs.

Thank you very much in advance. 

I'm sure this is the first of many, many questions for us inexperienced self-builders! 

1 hour ago, Mandana said:

Hello there

We're new to the forums and about to embark on our first self-build. We were wondering if anyone has an example of an expense spreadsheet they could share that will help us keep our finances in order, and for it to be a good tool at the end for VAT? I've tried to find some online but none seem specific to our needs.

Thank you very much in advance. 

I'm sure this is the first of many, many questions for us inexperienced self-builders! 

Ref, Date, Supplier, Description, Gross, Net, VAT, Paid

Not at a VAT reclaim stage, but keep a spreadsheet with these columns for the running costs of the build.

Keep it simple and easy to update.

More regular members (ten posts) can access VAT information on the forum.

Have a look at the headings on the claim forms. HMRC say you can use a spreadsheet to file your claim if you use the same headings (and the pages of questions at the front).

In my day there were two forms, one for reciepts that show the VAT itemised and one for those that just show the total Inc VAT. I think this was only to make manual calculation easier? If using a spreadsheet splitting them like this would be pointless but I don't know if HMRC still insist you split invoices in this way.

2 hours ago, Temp said:

In my day there were two forms, one for reciepts that show the VAT itemised and one for those that just show the total Inc VAT. I think this was only to make manual calculation easier? If using a spreadsheet splitting them like this would be pointless but I don't know if HMRC still insist you split invoices in this way.

Yes they still seem to want them split that way. Part E is where you have to calculate the VAT if it's not shown separately on the invoice, and there is supposed to be a separate form for each different VAT rate. I had 15%, 17.5% and 20% when I sent mine in so 3 different 'E' forms.