Compensation claim.

Russell griffiths

I had no idea where to put this, so because it’s to do with insulation I chucked it here. 

So the other day i put a post post up about some pir insulation I had delivered that I wasn’t happy with, so to cut the story short I have to work out how much compo I want from the supplier and they will consider it. 

I will be thinking about this myself obviously but thought I would ask you lot in case you come up with some random idea that gets me enough to buy a small yacht. 

So the situation is i have 2.4 x1.2 sheets 70mm thick the edges are sunken back to the point I won’t use it, so the plan is to trim the sheets down. 

Work involved. 

Trim each sheet on both long lengths by 10-15mm 

as I see it 

labour, pay a man to cut these. Cost per sheet ???

disposal of debris, I will be left with debris I wouldn’t have had. Cost ???

smaller product, by cutting it down I no longer have a product 1.2 wide but 1180. Cost implications???

bit of a random thread but it is Friday night and she’s gone out so I’m bored. 

What you think. 

Will I get my yacht. 

19 minutes ago, newhome said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just ask for the right thing to be supplied or is that no fun? I think I’d be in the can’t be arsed category and want what I expected to receive. 

I’m thinking if they have to come and get it 1-1/2 drive, load it then 1-1/2 drive back that will cost them £200 in wasted time and wages. 

Why are you thinking in terms of compensation? You can only claim compensation if you have suffered some loss, hardship or privation as a result of someone else's actions. In this case they just seem to have supplied sub-standard stuff, so the best outcome you can hope for is that you come to some agreement, or they replace it with something more suitable. And you have to give them the opportunity to put things right before you can sue them for your money back.

8 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

Why are you thinking in terms of compensation? You can only claim compensation if you have suffered some loss, hardship or privation as a result of someone else's actions. In this case they just seem to have supplied sub-standard stuff, so the best outcome you can hope for is that you come to some agreement, or they replace it with something more suitable. And you have to give them the opportunity to put things right before you can sue them for your money back.

He doesn't want to sue them, he wants to get them to offer a discount as they supplied faulty goods. So if they don't get a big enough discount then they get told to take it back and replace with the correct sized sheets. They won't want to come and collect it so will do a deal. Either way Russell either gets cheaper sheets or the correct sized sheets so wins with either outcome.

I don't know what quantity you have, but look at the price of seconds kingspan. E.g. seconds &co

If you paid £100 for your material and seconds are £75 then the minimum you would want is £25 back or else you would have gone and bought the seconds in the first place.

38 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

Maybe compensation was the wrong word, a reduction in price on the item to save them coming and replacing them. 

29 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I don't know what quantity you have, but look at the price of seconds kingspan. E.g. seconds &co

If you paid £100 for your material and seconds are £75 then the minimum you would want is £25 back or else you would have gone and bought the seconds in the first place.

Have done that, so mentioned to them that I consider their product to be worse than if I had bought seconds. 

They have asked me to come up with a figure I would be happy with. 

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Why have the ends shrunk back? Manufacturing defect?

Seems to be batch specific. I have a lot of PIR of ages from 2-7+ years old and some is still bob on while other newer stuff has shrunk at the edges. So yes it’s a manufacturing problem but often can’t be spotted until it’s to late. If you got a batch that looked good and was hot of the press and then installed it..... and then it shrank it could definitely lead to gaps.... if you were relying only on silver tape as a vcl  this could put the whole job at risk. Some of the boards I have on stock have shrunk at the edges and more importantly in there overall size !!!! This Is fairly unnerving if you were using the board as a whole sheet rather than cutting it down to fit between rafters.