Ban on Sale of Coal / Wet Wood

Ferdinand

This is an interesting proposal.

The announcement is that coal will be banned for sale from Feb 2021, and unseasoned wood (moisture <20%) in packages smaller than 2 cubic m (*) from Jan 2024.

So it will be anthracite or similar, dry wood, or have space to store it whilst it dries (challenge for posh inner London eg Fulham perhaps). Graphic below is a bit simplified (different emissions from different coal types).

There is a Beeboid piece on it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817.

It was announced by the Ag & Fish Minister.

I am assuming this is devolved, so this would be England only. Sounds like a not bad idea - I think, though some dwellings may need upgrading. 

What a difference to the arguments that used to infuriate my dad as a Council Architect around 1970 when the argument against insulation and gas central heating from some ex-mining Councillors would be "we have infinite coal and many of us get it free for life from the NCB".

Ferdinand

(* does anyone have an easy way to do superscripts from a normal laptop keyboard? I am sure it exists)

coal-graphic.jpg?width=640

Edited by Ferdinand

35 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

I think that there should be a total ban on coal, wood and biomas combustion in all towns, cities and schools for health and air quality reasons 

All those activities also release CO2 into the atmosphere 

The emissions from those is insignificant compared to vehicle emissions in built up areas. 

• Like 2

The concern with coal and wood burning isn't so much the CO2, but the harmful particulates.  There's plenty of evidence to show just how harmful they are relative to vehicle emissions.  I recall comparing the particulate emissions from wood stoves to that from diesel cars some time ago.  Can't remember the exact numbers right now, but one wood burning stove is roughly equivalent to having several diesel cars parked on your drive with their engines idling, in terms of particulate emissions.

• Like 1

Control the energy, control the masses. 

If it wasn't all about control the powers that be would have pushed for super insulated, energy efficient housing stock, supported retrofit schemes etc. 

I honestly believe that. 

• Thanks 1

There are a surprising number of houses up here still burning coal on an open fire. The coal delivery lorries are always out and about at this time of year.  We bought a few bags when we were in the caravan for a winter, I think most of what they sell came from Columbia since we don't mine our own any more.

Surely this will spell the end for the nonsense that is Drax?

28 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

And just how is the burning of wet wood going be policed?

West Lancashire will continue to burn coal and wet wood for the foreseeable future.

Luckily for my lungs,  unpwind of us is the sea.

Since Councils are already responsible for bonfires and (?)smokeless zones, they would pick that one up, I guess.

The initaitive sounds to me like the kind of thing that could have come out of the Behavioural Insights Team aka Nudge Unit (no idea if it did), which has been successful with small changes.

52 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Control the energy, control the masses. 

If it wasn't all about control the powers that be would have pushed for super insulated, energy efficient housing stock, supported retrofit schemes etc. 

I honestly believe that. 

Yes 100% I have been saying this for years now.

They will remove petrol and diesel over time, gas perhaps, everything becomes electric, the general population then must step into line and pay for electricity and do as they are told. 

Self generation - fine, but they can then control the equipment costs too.

Just an aside.

It it becomes illegal to sell "wet wood"  Who is going to tell the two builders merchants near me to season their construction timber before selling it to me?  The wood I got yesterday was inside their warehouse, but it was clear it had spent a considerable time outside somewhere.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just an aside.

It it becomes illegal to sell "wet wood"  Who is going to tell the two builders merchants near me to season their construction timber before selling it to me?  The wood I got yesterday was inside their warehouse, but it was clear it had spent a considerable time outside somewhere.

The ban is essentially retail and small quantities, and is only England (yet !).

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

During my build I’ve saved lots of timber off cuts  etc . ready for the stove !

As it’s the sale that’s being banned I assume I can use up my supply without issue ???

Yes, for now! -Once we enter the real Orwellian dystopia we will have other things to worry about.

Edited by Carrerahill

Just now, Carrerahill said:

They are not banning smokeless or wood, just trying to limit it to cleaner fuels. Wire in. 

I know . It was just the timing was spot on ?. My solar panels go up tomorrow so be be prepared for the government to announce PV tax ??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

During my build I’ve saved lots of timber off cuts  etc . ready for the stove !

But that is a lot of the issue ..!! Treated timber and other things such as pallets are a massive issue. As is unseasoned wet wood. 

A lot of people buy them and have very little knowledge about how to light them and run them - and that causes the most of the smoke issues. 

Just now, Ferdinand said:

It's like twitter - people only read the Headline ?

Or read the Star or Sun or Express where apparently, wood stoves are being banned, cars are being banned, your going to die, Dennis is going to unleash 20" of snow on us while tornados rip through the land.