What would you do about this?

recoveringbuilder

Oh dear I couldn’t live with that either. I would need it pushed against the wall to create more usable floor space and then potentially turned halfway up if there wasn’t the headroom to go straight up. They do look steep IMO currently. 

Is something curved possible? So something like this (shape not design) 

1B866C95-4E93-477C-9788-603847A62B93.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, newhome said:

Oh dear I couldn’t live with that either. I would need it pushed against the wall to create more usable floor space and then potentially turned halfway up if there wasn’t the headroom to go straight up. They do look steep IMO currently. 

Is something curved possible? So something like this (shape not design) 

1B866C95-4E93-477C-9788-603847A62B93.jpeg

That's why I asked how much short of headroom are you?

My gut feeling is not very much, and a straight flight up against the wall with a turn at the top like that would only need the turn a few stairs from the top.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

IIRC it was about 30mm short at certain steps 

Did you point it out to BC or did he get his tape measure out?  Many would have let that go and it would be no practical problem.

I would be looking at an alternative sollution.  Cut the landing framework somehow to enable the top step to recess one step into the landing and your problem will go away.

Or try and shave that 30mm off the ceiling, e.g if there is a battened service void above the plasterboard, you can eat into that to get your 30mm.

This would keep a straight staircase against the wall.

imho the joiner did not try hard enough to make it work against the wall, I am sure there would be a way.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Did you point it out to BC or did he get his tape measure out?  Many would have let that go and it would be no practical problem.

I would be looking at an alternative sollution.  Cut the landing framework somehow to enable the top step to recess one step into the landing and your problem will go away.

Or try and shave that 30mm off the ceiling, e.g if there is a battened service void above the plasterboard, you can eat into that to get your 30mm.

This would keep a straight staircase against the wall.

imho the joiner did not try hard enough to make it work against the wall, I am sure there would be a way.

Unfortunately it was the staircase company that discovered the problem and then got on to the architect who in turn contacted BC to ask if they would allow it, the thing is we had a temporary staircase up against the wall for months and everyone was going up and down (builders etc) without any problem. I do feel if it had not been pointed out to BC they may never have noticed considering they haven’t even measured it as it currently is. We were thinking that after sign off we would just move it back to the wall but I get varied opinions on this, some say that’s what to do while others think it may flash up to a surveyor in future should we decide to sell.

45 minutes ago, ProDave said:

or a combination of both, 30mm is very little. The ceiling appears to have an oak trim? Can this be trimmed a little, if it’s over the whole length no one will notice. I think a good chippy could do this ( I am sure I could?). 15mm into the landing if not more and 15mm off the oak trim?

29 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I agree, 30mm would almost certainly not be noticed by a BCO.  The existing staircase looks as if it might fit OK if against the wall, so one option might be to just wait until the house is signed off and then move the staircase over and adapt the landing to suit.

That would be my approach.

Had the exact same problem on a job. Gable fronted dormer bungalow. I caught it as I was putting the trimmer in for to floor joists thinking how the hell are these stairs going to work with that valley coming down architects had drawn it too far forward. I pushed the trimmer back 3 or4 ft luckily it didn't knacker the clients layout

30mm issue reminds me a problem we had with our stair design.

Technically it falls slightly short of the building regulation for the hand rails requirement. This was identified by our joiners who designed, made and installed the stairs. I phoned building control officer, pointed this out, all agreed, two inspections later (including one yesterday) all fine.

Usually for some of the less critical building regulation you have a bit of wiggle room, if suggestions are sensible and agreed with the officer. 

Edited by Thedreamer

• 3 months later...

Thought I’d give you all an update on this as I never quite finished off the posts that were going on, I had to give up with trying to get some form of compensation from the architect as bc we’re not going to give us our temporary habitation if we were going to insist that they revisited to look at it again so just before lockdown I gave in to enable us to get a sign off of some kind, they won’t sign it all off until the garage is complete. I actually had put the staircase to the back of my mind with everything else that was going on covid wise however it reared it’s ugly head again last week and we’ve been thinking about the best plan of action. I think as @PeterWsuggested some sort of winder staircase might be the answer but wouldn’t be confident enough to try and order one to be made so I’ve contacted a chap who does this sort of thing and he’s planning a visit as soon as he safely can to have a look, he even mentioned that he may be able to use the existing one in some way( don’t know if they can be disassembled) , we shall see!

Having only just seen this and read through some of the posts, is the issue the headroom from about the 3rd/4th riser? If so, could you not push the staircase further back into the room so it clears the headroom which will take you to a landing and then turning left or right up to the first floor... if that makes sense?