How to dismantle a sofa for disposal...

Consider a 2 seat sofa with two electric recliners (which weighs a ton).

I also have a 3 seater sofa and a one seater chair. All of which weigh a ton and are recliners. They are as uncommfortable as they are heavy, and ginormous.

These are going because they were bought for when dad was seriously ill back in 2006. To be replaced with a Guy Rogers converti-sofa and 2 chairs which I still have stashed upstairs.

Does anyone know how I get these dismantled and removed - really not a job I want to tackle? Even the label is underneath so I had to behave like a car mechanic with no lift to find out what it is.

I think they are these - by Centurion Furniture of Lancaster (who have now closed). Lazyboy Recliners.

image.jpeg.df0a98331f7c4a2b4c383bb81821c015.jpeg

There is no prospect of sale due to the electric and it is only worth tuppence.

I think I will need to hire 2 men for half a day, or similar.

All comments welcome.

Ferdinand

12BED4C5-1E64-409C-AE47-97ACDD3A9A72.jpeg

15E06BF0-C821-4288-9C98-9B794B9C048F.jpeg

738C26FD-3628-402A-BF95-9CD923C40CB0.jpeg

5DE65368-292D-431C-8076-A16E9650F2B8.jpeg

8A17FCA6-771C-4AA9-B16F-B91BF06A3B42.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Freecycle? 

That is an excellent thought but TBH I do not want random (as opposed to paid and chosen) strangers in the house when I am processing mum’s estate.

I may have to bite the bullet.

The IVAR shelves you can see is my prototype green wall which is going where the sofa came from ? .

Edited by Ferdinand

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

That is an excellent thought but TBH I do not want random (as opposed to paid and chosen) strangers in the house when I am processing mum’s estate.

The IVAR shelves you can see is my prototype green wall which is going where the sofa came from ? .

When you say dispose do you mean to a new home or just bin them?

If the latter I'd simply be employing a Stanley knife to section things down and a saw to cut up the frames - make them small enough they will fit in your car and take the bits to the tip.

If you want to give them a new good home then what about drag them outside and cover with a good new tarp and advertise for collection - that way no one in your house? I am always moving things to other places and meeting people on my drive with things so they don't actually get to see in my house or garage!

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

I recently bought two large three seater sofas and when the delivery firm came I let them come in through the bifold doors which they were really happy about because they told me they sometimes have to take the arms off to get in doorways, apparently if they remove the fabric on the bottom they can access whatever holds the arms on.

In our last house we had a flat above the garage which our son lived in, he went out one day and bought a large sofa without thinking of the access, when the delivery guys came there was no way it was getting up that staircase, we had to remove the dormer  window and haul it up with two people on ladders! When we sold up we had to saw it up into pieces to get it out!

• Thanks 1

If you don't want strangers coming around (which I can fully understand in the circumstances) then how about one of the charities that collect stuff for free?  We have a couple locally, who were only too happy to take some of our left-over furniture, and as @ProDave says, they are a well respected make and look to be in fairly good condition.   The charity that collected our surplus wardrobes came around in a small furniture van with a couple of chaps and had them out of the house and away in ten minutes.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

If you don't want strangers coming around (which I can fully understand in the circumstances) then how about one of the charities that collect stuff for free?  We have a couple locally, who were only too happy to take some of our left-over furniture,

I found the local charity shops less "helpful"

For a start they won't take anything electrical as they don't have anyone to PAT test it so they can sell it.  And we tried to give them a good leather sofa, but they van driver that came to collect it decided it was not perfect so they would not take it.  So that one we put on Gumtree and sold it instead.  Mind you we had to deliver it into a ground floor flat.  The amount of pushing and shoving needed to get it in, I would not want to try and get it out of that flat again.

• Thanks 1

I suspect it depends very much on where you live.  There is a charity in Salisbury that help the homeless, and they both look for furniture to use for accommodation they find, and sell it in their shop to raise funds.  They were more than happy to collect stuff from us.

I found Freecycle very effective at getting rid of stuff, too, but you need to be aware that there are a few entrepreneurs operating within Freecycle that take stuff and then sell it on Gumtree, eBay etc.  I gave away a boat (not allowed to sell it as it was home made, so under EU regs couldn't be sold), then got contacted by a chap miles away in Somerset who'd seen an article I'd written in a boating magazine and expected me to provide an after market service.  He wasn't a happy bunny when I told him that the boat had been given away free, as it was unlawful to sell it.

It might be possible to vet Freecycle people, perhaps.  Maybe arrange to meet them on neutral territory and sound them out, first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I very much appreciate all the comments.

I can’t go the charity shop route easily, as they are all electric recliners than are nearly 15 years old, and therefore excluded afaik. And unfortunately they will only come out in pieces as they are about 50% bigger than a standard door in any dimension, and I am built right up to both boundaries.

Ditto the Council Service will only take things from outside the house. At the moment it is Big Spring Clean where they take 3 large items for free, but for that we have to get them outside and put them back together.

However phoning round I have found an acquaintance who works in a local furniture factory making high end sofas, who has agreed to do the dismantling and take it to the disposal point or perhaps put it back together outside. We just need to decide.

So problem probably solved ... he is coming round tomorrow for a look.

Cheers all.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

First 2 seater gone, so now I can get my prototype Green Wall going.

They turned up at this AM having taken Tetris to the top, saying can we have the first one early to sit on.

Goo-do

The rest goes tomorrow.

Edited by Ferdinand