LED rope light

Pocster

Hey!

Interested in putting some of these in the bathroom. Want ones that have user colour selection.

What I don't want is the transformer/controller near the LED strip . Ideally I want that mounted in my utility room and run a separate cable to the rope light.

So my question is what type of cable must run from controller to light? - as it's colour selectable I assume it's some non standard arrangement?

Guess if I had one it would be easier to understand ?

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Wonder if I can daisy chain them?

i.e. one controller; 5 core cable to first LED strip, then from that 5 core cable to next and so on??. rather than running 5 core per light ( though that would have the advantage each one could be a different colour )

18 minutes ago, pocster said:

Wonder if I can daisy chain them?

i.e. one controller; 5 core cable to first LED strip, then from that 5 core cable to next and so on??. rather than running 5 core per light ( though that would have the advantage each one could be a different colour )

Just to be clear, you want LED tape, not LED rope - that stuff is literally like a piece of rope with LED's in it. For a bathroom I'd use the IP67 stuff which is encapsulated in a plastic jacket.

It just depends on wattage per meter and then work out your load and check the the power supply and any controls can handle it.

I was actually on a site yesterday where they were finalising the installation of LED tape - 200m of it in total across cabinets and shelf details etc.

It was 14.6W/m - now that was white only, so what they do is split the tape into RGB or RGBW - so if on a similar tape that would be about 5W per colour per meter - so if you say have 20m of it that is 100W per colour per 20m - which on 24V tape is 4.16A per colour - so you need controls that can handle that.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Whats the easiest way to wire this up on-site? i.e.no soldering....???

Get the consumer grade stuff with little plugs on the end - sort of Ikea job - or get a spark or school kid from the electronics club to solder it up for you. I always spec soldered stuff and it is either done on site to site measured lengths or pre-made by a reputable manufacturer to confirmed lengths.

Edited by Carrerahill

2 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Get the consumer grade stuff with little plugs on the end - sort of Ikea job - or get a spark or school kid from the electronics club to solder it up for you. I always spec soldered stuff and it is either done on site to site measured lengths or pre-made by a reputable manufacturer to confirmed lengths.

Sure; soldering is fine - just on site I was hoping for 'clips'. As the LED tape ( will use correct terminology from now ) is in a bathroom recess ; I want it to be accessible i.e. removable should it need replacing. 

Did find this which has IP67 etc rated aswell.

https://arc-led.co.uk/26-rgbwrgbww-colour-change-24v?page=2

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Sure; soldering is fine - just on site I was hoping for 'clips'. As the LED tape ( will use correct terminology from now ) is in a bathroom recess ; I want it to be accessible i.e. removable should it need replacing. 

Did find this which has IP67 etc rated aswell.

https://arc-led.co.uk/26-rgbwrgbww-colour-change-24v?page=2

Are you going to use an aluminium profile and slip on diffuser to clean it all up and make it pro. The job I went to see yesterday we used a recessed profile that was tapped into a rebate the shopfitters made in all the furniture details. 

i.e. https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/led-strip-lights/led-profiles-extrusions/1m-recessed-aluminium-profile-extrusion-clear-frosted-diffuser.html

Also, realistically, a warm white LED tape will look very nice if done well - RGB might be a little, nightclub/teen bedroom and I don't want to offend, but dare I say, "tacky".

Edited by Carrerahill

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

Are you going to use an aluminium profile and slip on diffuser to clean it all up and make it pro. The job I went to see yesterday used a recessed profile that was tapped into a rebate the shopfitters made in all the furniture details. 

i.e. https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/led-strip-lights/led-profiles-extrusions/1m-recessed-aluminium-profile-extrusion-clear-frosted-diffuser.html

Also, realistically, a warm white LED tape will look very nice if done well - RGB might be a little nightclub teen bedroom and I don't want to offend, but dare I say, "tacky".

Yep; profile and diffuser.

I do agree that luminous green, or rampant red does indeed look tacky. Great way to entertain the grand children though!! . Once they've left it's back to 'normal' white ?

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yep; profile and diffuser.

I do agree that luminous green, or rampant red does indeed look tacky. Great way to entertain the grand children though!! . Once they've left it's back to 'normal' white ?

You might consider this:

https://shelly.cloud/wifi-smart-shelly-rgbw-2/

You could then tie that into a Shelly system with other bits in your house.

The one you posted above is just taken from Shelly and re-branded. Only €14.92 direct. 

Edited by Carrerahill

You might consider this:

https://shelly.cloud/wifi-smart-shelly-rgbw-2/

You could then tie that into a Shelly system with other bits in your house.

It's neat and a good price. But I'm keen to keep everything to one technology i.e. z wave - always feels more reliable rather than mixing things....

BTW my bedroom will have a bright green LED rim around the ceiling and a smooth turquoise strip around the floor - tacky? NAH! not me! living the dream!!!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, pocster said:

What type of cable should it be?

Depends on loads obviously but stranded CAT5 is a good shout, stranded phone cable for a slightly heavier, if your loads push several amps then any 4-5 core flex at 0.75mm.

As said it all depends on loadings. Just because LED tape is low power doesn't mean the loading can go up - 200W drivers are not uncommon for commercial installations - that is 8.33A!

• Thanks 1

Depends on loads obviously but stranded CAT5 is a good shout, stranded phone cable for a slightly heavier, if your loads push several amps then any 4-5 core flex at 0.75mm.

As said it all depends on loadings. Just because LED tape is low power doesn't mean the loading can go up - 200W drivers are not uncommon for commercial installations - that is 8.33A!

The 'amount' of LED in the bathroom will be under 1 metre - so load wise fine.

The bedrooms well! - might need their own 3 phase consumer unit! ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

The 'amount' of LED in the bathroom will be under 1 metre - so load wise fine.

The bedrooms well! - might need their own 3 phase consumer unit! ?

I'd just use a bit of CAT5/phone/bell anything you have lying about to be honest and not waste any money on anything else.

That fancy colour coded flat cable you linked to above is fine for doing sort of link pieces and making things very easy to wire up with colour coding etc. but not needed here.

The sparks on site had used 0.75mm figure 8 speaker/bell wire on the job yesterday, just as well as they used miles of the stuff. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1