Flooring for Mezzanine

Visti

We're putting in a mezzanine with 6x2' beams (planed square edged) and looking to do the flooring as easily as possible. 

Any suggestions where I only have to install one later of board for a decent combined structural and finish floor?

Or is T&G chipboard the most cost effective way to go, but with what on top?

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

I did mine with good quality plywood and then just sanded and varnished it.

That is not a bad shout at all. I think I'll go with that. Mind some clarifications?

- what grade and thickness of plywood did you use?

- How'd you fix it to the beams?

7 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

@Visti, I can't remember, did MBC use Egger Protect T&G for your first-floor floor as they usually do? Would that be a sufficient finish?

https://www.egger.com/shop/en_GB/building/product-detail/PROTECT

They did yes, but I'm not convinced on that as a finished floor, and I really don't want to have to double up. Plus they are not the most cost effective solution!

2 hours ago, Visti said:

That is not a bad shout at all. I think I'll go with that. Mind some clarifications?

- what grade and thickness of plywood did you use?

- How'd you fix it to the beams?

Mine is only 12mm thick.  That's because I was trying to make the floor make up as thin as possible so have possibly under sized joists but lots of them, about 300mm apart, and wanted a thin floor as well.

I just went to the BM and looked at all they had and chose the one that had a nice finish to the surface that I thought would sand and varnish okay.

Fixed down with countersunk screws, as In I drilled a hole and countersunk the top with a counterskink bit before fitting the screw.

• Like 1