TF/Brick Slips v TF/Brick Extension

Coops

Hi folks, hope you're all good...

Exploring the possibility of extending an existing Edwardian brick house using timber frame faced with matching brick slips, anyone had any experience with the various systems and how they compare with a trad brick outer leaf, in terms of cost, speed, resale issues etc.

Cheers 

You’re probably going to find matching an existing Edwardian brick with a slip is going to be eye watering in price. Expect them to use a reclaim and cut two faces from it with about a 30% breakage rate so you’re in excess of £1.20 per brick. Add in a carrier system - probably custom made as it will be for imperial size bricks - and the glue / mortar and you’re at 3-4 times the price for building a brick skin from traditional reclaims. 

What is the reason for timber frame ..? 

Thanks Peter, I figured slips would be a fairly sizable increase in cost. The rationale behind my thinking is that as I'm an ex carpenter, I'll stick frame the TF myself, but I'm not a trained bricklayer so was thinking of an easier way really.

I plan to use brick slips for my build, but in my case I can use stock extruded slips, not cut bricks to match any existing building.

I will be using Eurobrick's P-Clad system. Like you I am using it to remove the need for a skilled (and expensive) bricklayer in my build.

Eurobrick offer a cutting service for your own stock bricks. But I wonder if, in your case you could not find a way for the extension to stand proud and separate of the existing structure, perhaps with a glazed link, enabling you to use a complimentary brick slip but not one made by cutting existing bricks, and so reduce the cost. Isn't there also a trend in architecture for a new extension to be visibly distinct from the original building.

Hi Dreadnaught, thanks for replying. Indeed, I could use anything that reasonably matches or contrasts from the existing, the extended portion on the front elevation will be set back  by 100mm anyway, no listing or conservation area issues apply, and yes, honest extensions are favoured by my council as is the case nationally. That said, I do really like a smart brick finish.

I'll have a look at the Eurobrick system.

32 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Like you I am using it to remove the need for a skilled (and expensive) bricklayer in my build.

so who is installing the slips ..?? That is a skilled job, and possibly more expensive to fix and point than laying bricks. 

17 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Do you really think so: 

So I challenge anyone to point and fill those joints to make it look as good as that without some serious practice ..! You won’t get a second chance at it, and it is not cheap to mess up. 

Yeah, the pointing is the only unknown at the moment, assuming the system uses some kind of flexible, non cementitious type affair, looks like it might stick to the face of the brick, definitely not as easy as sand/cement.

11 hours ago, Coops said:

Yeah, the pointing is the only unknown at the moment, assuming the system uses some kind of flexible, non cementitious type affair, looks like it might stick to the face of the brick, definitely not as easy as sand/cement.

I used the Wetherby system which uses a bagged mortar which is applied with a mortar gun. The whole system is pretty straightforward to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoZGlEU7apA

PB290012.thumb.JPG.9131c310ccf32bf1da83772b71546c15.JPG

PC070016.thumb.JPG.7eb72cf8dc53afdbf46cdb65ef6db473.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

I used the Wetherby system which uses a bagged mortar which is applied with a mortar gun. The whole system is pretty straightforward to use.

Peter, I assume you DIY-d it. Did you have any difficulty getting the mortar to look nice (it looks good in the photo)?

By the way, I missed that system: I will look it up. I evaluated EuroBrick P-Clad, Corium, Forterra’s Wonderwall, and Ibstock Kevington’s Fastwall.

Edited by Dreadnaught

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoZGlEU7apA

PB290012.thumb.JPG.9131c310ccf32bf1da83772b71546c15.JPG

PC070016.thumb.JPG.7eb72cf8dc53afdbf46cdb65ef6db473.JPG

Looks great, what happens below damp? Does the system allow for a seamless solution to mimick traditional engineering bricks?

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Peter, I assume you DIY-d it. Did you have any difficulty getting the mortar to look nice (it looks good in the photo)?

We half DIY'd it. We installed the render board (Bluclad) and mesh but I chickened out of fixing the slips and pointing as we were running out of time for getting the plinth finished and the cedar cladding fitted before the weather changed. We had a chap who was a general builder finish it for us. He said it was straightforward and he used a half round tool for finishing the mortar. We could have done it ourselves but it would have taken a lot longer.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Coops said:

Looks great, what happens below damp? Does the system allow for a seamless solution to mimick traditional engineering bricks?

The brick slips are just a rainscreen and our DPC is behind the cavity. I can't say for sure whether Wetherby do a blue brick but they do have a large range. We have shingle around the base which just covers the bottom of the slips.

P4140001.thumb.JPG.1eedbed81fe19c3ef70acf694d1070c2.JPG

Edited by PeterStarck
Added picture

The brick slips are just a rainscreen and our DPC is behind the cavity. I can't say for sure whether Wetherby do a blue brick but they do have a large range. We have shingle around the base which just covers the bottom of the slips.

P4140001.thumb.JPG.1eedbed81fe19c3ef70acf694d1070c2.JPG

Thanks, the picture shows that you have followed the cladding below ground, looks great, my concern is more a durability thing I suppose, when compared to a solid brick wall.

2 hours ago, Coops said:

my concern is more a durability thing I suppose, when compared to a solid brick wall

Yes I see, in my case it's a hanging screen so doesn't touch the ground, just the shingle pushed up to the outside.