Screwing into concrete: hole size guide

Putting my Geberit Sigma base unit in today, and I'd like to get this - to adapt Gerry Rafferty's words - Right First Time.  A tall order because usually, its two steps forward and one or more back.

The feet are meant to be bolted to the ground (concrete) with a hex-head  structural screw marked 8.8, and they provide a Rawlplug - well its a Rawlplug on speed really .... (invented by a German I think ? but the inventor  call it a Duebel)

20200218_162440.thumb.jpg.d65f52c33c10988b75755cbdafae4498.jpg

Is there a simple table somewhere which for each screw size, gives hole diameter, the size of plug  need and the depth to drill the hole?

Since this is for a loo, should I use some resin in the holes?

I'd be most grateful if anyone could post a link. Thanks.

Looking for a suitably consoling/encouraging quote, I had to rely on a German Translation as the Latin text is not out of copyright yet so not findable on the net.

Die Flüsse wissen das: Wir haben es nicht eilig.

F

(English : Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We will get there in the end.)

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Looking for a suitably consoling/encouraging quote, I had to rely on a German Translation as the Latin text is not out of copyright yet so not findable on the net.

F

(English : Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We will get there in the end.)

Must quote this to my wife when she says “ when will we be moving in ? “ . No need to translate her response to my reply ...

14 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Thanks Peter.

The table given there is helpful:  in the table 10mm drill size takes a blue plug, whereas Geberit uses a light grey.

Of course it helps if members who post here read the instructions. ?

1 minute ago, AnonymousBosch said:

@Onoff did you resin that screw in? 

I'm tempted to do that once every other job has been done.

I would not worry to much Ian about using resin on the base attachments, it is the wall ones you need to make sure are solid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

@Onoff did you resin that screw in? 

I'm tempted to do that once every other job has been done.

No, not the base ones. The top ones into the wall are Fischer resined in though. I ditched the Geberit wall brackets there.

20170329_191208

You can't see it here but there's a nut behind the Unistrut then that itself is bolted with another 3 resin fixings.

20170402_150019

Then I did things with hex stud extenders. Meant to put threadlock on everything but think I forgot...

14 hours ago, pocster said:

Must quote this to my wife when she says “ when will we be moving in ? “ . No need to translate her response to my reply ...

Working on your own, and listening to that oft-repeated question is starting to get to me. I've started replying "How long's a piece of string?"

Going from a working environment where I really did have lots of control, a secure operational, strategic and policy overview of what I was doing to one where on site most days I work hard to  make just a little progress: its wearing. 

If I hear that stupid saying "Do something today that you've never done before" once more ?.  Thats what I do almost every single day. It makes you focus on the little stuff - on the nitty gritty detail. After a couple of years of that I haven't got the wherewithal to  lift my head up and see the bigger picture.

And at the same time I am well aware that we only just got planning permission - had we applied a month or so later, in all likelihood we would have been refused. The guy on the plot next to us was refused. He applied just a little after we did.

Ah, stop moaning Ian. Just Bloody Do It.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Ian

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Thanks Peter.

The table given there is helpful:  in the table 10mm drill size takes a blue plug, whereas Geberit uses a light grey.

Of course it helps if members who post here read the instructions. ?

Standard sized cheapo British plugs are coloured, efficient European ones tend to be plain grey. Cf Fischer, Lidl etc.

54 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I think this is just a UK semi standard. I've bought boxes of plugs which follow that rule but some manufacturers make their own for specific uses.

34 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Tongue slightly in cheek there, Ian. But I do prefer the extra barbed doodahs of the more modern plugs.

And then again, my dad taught me how to make wooden wall plugs ( stick, pen knife, whittle, hammer in, knock off)  long ago. Don't suppose that would pass muster these days.

Barbed doodahs for me from now on.

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

And then again, my dad taught me how to make wooden wall plugs ( stick, pen knife, whittle, hammer in, knock off)  long ago. Don't suppose that would pass muster these days.

Barbed doodahs for me from now on.

I just make sure to light the matches before I shove them in the hole...