Resin bound on a non-porous base?

Adam2

Am looking at driveway levels at the moment and fancy these nice looking resin bound drive finishes but as they are porous is that an issue if the sub-base for most of the drive is 100mm of concrete? Do we have the risk that in winter the water enters and then freezes causing damage to the 25mm resin layer? Sub-base for half the driveway is on an elevated platform with beam/block + concrete, possibly we could lay this to a fall to reduce water penetration into the resin.

I saw a driveway system with granite setts on a large building site being laid on top of a concrete pad and they core drilled out in a regular pattern through the concrete and then filled this with gravel and covered over with small pieces of Terram membranel before covering with sharp sand and laying the paving

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

I saw a driveway system with granite setts on a large building site being laid on top of a concrete pad and they core drilled out in a regular pattern through the concrete and then filled this with gravel and covered over with small pieces of Terram membranel before covering with sharp sand and laying the paving

Thanks Pete - though we're concrete with mesh on top of beam and block so not sure we should core drill through the beams or the blocks to replicate the above

1 hour ago, Adam2 said:

Thanks Pete - though we're concrete with mesh on top of beam and block so not sure we should core drill through the beams or the blocks to replicate the above

No, dont do that, sorry did not realise this!!

A bit more research indicates that with the resin bound finish being permeable the drainage should be at the concrete level and not at the surface level so that also presents a bit of a challenge. Possibly I could have the concrete base installed to a fall which will have a perimeter aco drain installed so that it is at the concrete level but the detail of finishing the resin bound surface eludes me so I may have to do battle with a supplier to see how they would propose this - maybe it's as simple as just having some shuttering above the aco drain (possibly angled). As the aco is not very wide, this seems unlikely to lead to wear and tear issues.

Actually got in touch with the above co - very helpful on their technical line. No problem just have the concrete to falls and either have linear drainage below the resin or use something like this if you want a surface level drainage - which I think will look better and be less likely to have leaves stuck in it: https://www.aco.co.uk/products/freedeck