Garage construction

Taff

Hi, think this threads in the right place!

im struggling with decision re design of double garage. Planning is in place with stone/Trespa cladding exterior. Founds are not down yet so a bit of time to mill over. Budget is around £20k so hopefully this is enough. I have seen a number of oak builds which look lovely, also with flexible layouts, such as 1 parking space/ workspace/ log storage on side etc. Has anyone recently erected this type of construction, as no idea of cost.  Without registering with a company it’s difficult to get an idea. Is there any maintenance required? Could the loft space be easily converted for small office  space in the future if adequate space?

thanks

Before you make the final decision, bear in mind that Trespa is one of the cladding types being removed from high rise due to flammability and although this will not apply to your project, insurers are very risk averse and may change their criteria in future.

The oak frame garages often have brickwork to the lower section and oak cladding above, with clay roof tiles.  You could also look at slate. If you want to convert it in future make sure you buy one designed for this.  There are loads of companies who manufacture and supply the kit.

Sometimes it is worth giving a few a call and having a chat, as you do not always get the information you are after from their websites alone.

Our original planning consent was for a brick built traditional garage, but we changed it to an oak framed one. So glad we did - it has much more character and feeling it's been there a long time. This was good in design terms as it came between our more contemporary brick house and a stone built listed building opposite.

It was quite big at 7.5m x 5.7m, with an internal staircase and huge upstairs storage room. It included some green oak timbers that were 300 x 200 - so many I saw seem to have 150 x 150 which look puny. Cost all in (including slates, velux and 2 electric doors, excluding foundations) was about 24k (no VAT - 2018)

IMG_6406sm.jpg

33GL front sm.JPG

7 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you go oak will you not be mixing styles considerably. 

Oak is old style country

trespa is sharp and modern 

just my first thoughts. 

I have only seen trespa on new contempory style houses. 

Happy to be shown otherwise. 

Thanks Russel, think your right Trespa is modern and may not suit the village. 

6 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Before you make the final decision, bear in mind that Trespa is one of the cladding types being removed from high rise due to flammability and although this will not apply to your project, insurers are very risk averse and may change their criteria in future.

The oak frame garages often have brickwork to the lower section and oak cladding above, with clay roof tiles.  You could also look at slate. If you want to convert it in future make sure you buy one designed for this.  There are loads of companies who manufacture and supply the kit.

Sometimes it is worth giving a few a call and having a chat, as you do not always get the information you are after from their websites alone.

Oh didn’t realise that! Think I’m being swayed already with the oak design and great thanks for the advice re future proofing ?

5 hours ago, RandAbuild said:

Our original planning consent was for a brick built traditional garage, but we changed it to an oak framed one. So glad we did - it has much more character and feeling it's been there a long time. This was good in design terms as it came between our more contemporary brick house and a stone built listed building opposite.

It was quite big at 7.5m x 5.7m, with an internal staircase and huge upstairs storage room. It included some green oak timbers that were 300 x 200 - so many I saw seem to have 150 x 150 which look puny. Cost all in (including slates, velux and 2 electric doors, excluding foundations) was about 24k (no VAT - 2018)

IMG_6406sm.jpg

33GL front sm.JPG

Looks lovely that’s what I have in mind, did you change your planning during the project? What company did you use and was it a custom build?

We built the house before starting on the garage. This gave us enough time to go back to planning for an oak building, which was approved under delegated powers without any problems.

The firm we used for the oak frame and oak cladding is based in Kent - Miller Supply and Build. I gave them a simple drawing and they worked it up from there. They were excellent and I would happily use them again. They supplied, delivered and erected the garage and we then got the same roofer who did our main build back for the roof, and a separate company for the 2 Hormann sectional doors.

18 hours ago, RandAbuild said:

We built the house before starting on the garage. This gave us enough time to go back to planning for an oak building, which was approved under delegated powers without any problems.

The firm we used for the oak frame and oak cladding is based in Kent - Miller Supply and Build. I gave them a simple drawing and they worked it up from there. They were excellent and I would happily use them again. They supplied, delivered and erected the garage and we then got the same roofer who did our main build back for the roof, and a separate company for the 2 Hormann sectional doors.

Excellent thanks for all that info, I’ll have a look at their site ?