Poor Lead Flashing - Advice Needed

wozza

Hi All,

Had a roofer quote us for around 30 meters of Lead flashing a couple of months ago - he turned up this week and did the job.

When he viewed the job, we spoke for a while and one of the last things I said to him was "so you will use code 4 lead,? you will do a neat and tidy job? and the lead will be tight on the tiles?" he replied yes.

He turned up this week and did the job and I am shocked at the quality of work. They have broken at least 8 roof tiles, the corners of the lead look terrible, the lead is not dressed tight onto the tiles so its not weather and vermin proof and finally as I found out last night (thanks to storm Dennis) one of the overlap joints leaks.

I asked him about the broken tiles and he said that some were already broken -there was only one - and that his lads went round changing the broken ones - the only tiles available to change them with was my pile of tiles with broken corners, missing lugs etc. I know that it inevitable that tiles will get broken when working on a roof, but to leave them broken and / or use my tiles is poor.

I asked him why the lead was not dressed down tight onto the tiles - he said that the old lead was code 3 and that the new code 4 lead will split and need welding if he tries to dress it down onto the tiles, this I believe to be unacceptable as wind, rain, snow, birds, insects etc can easily get in.

I asked about the corners and he said that he could come back and put them right - wait until you see the pics.

He does not know about the leak as we found it last night - I have proven it was the overlap as I got very wet covering it up - the leak stopped once covered.

I have not paid him anything.

What are my options - do I legally have to let him try to put it right? I think I have lost faith in his ability and do not want to let him back onto my roof.

Thanks Wozza.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

Edited by wozza

This guys a cowboy ,if it was my roof I'd be tempted to tell him to go forth and multiply but with age  I've learnt to think twice before opening my mouth .if you know hes a local builder traceable I'd tell him the works shoddy he's not getting paid and take photos and give him the chance to sue you ( he won't ) but if you only have a mobile contact then the chance  of getting a brick through  the window or your car scratched quite frankly isn't worth  the hassle ,offer to pay half wipe  your chin and get someone proper to do it or have ago yourself .

It’s a terrible job. If possible try and find an off cut and see what thickness it is, it look thin....  I hope you can get it resolved without to much trouble..... make sure you have photos of what it should look like, scour some internet images and get them printed off so that you can clearly show what a professional job should have looked like. Also include some diagrams if possible.  

On the fourth picture showing the chimney? flashing shouldn't the cut by the vertical pipe be tucked under the pipe flashing? It's not been dressed at all and is appalling. It's so disappointing when so called professionals carry out work so badly. It's the reason I ended up doing so much of my build myself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

It's so disappointing when so called professionals carry out work so badly. It's the reason I ended up doing so much of my build myself.

I could not agree more, so often we see people on this forum posting about poor quality workmanship  and how to deal with it... (we also get some great positive stories as well ) It must be such a stress to have to confront these dodgy builders if your not used to / or don’t like confrontation......  

• Like 1

I was sooo lucky, my builder was brilliant and even as a retired builder myself (so know mostly what should be done) I could not fault their work. BUT there are so many cowboys out there. I always recommend people go by reputation with trades people and ask to speak to previous customers . 

I'm a roofer and a lead worker. It is an awful job and needs fixed by someone that actually knows what they are doing.

Get 3 quotes from other roofing/lead companies and don't let that guy near your roof again. If he requests let him collect his scrap lead when the job is redone

• Like 1