3 phase or single?

Barryscotland

We currently have 3 phase going to our plot but the cable needs to be rerouted and we’ve got the option of only have single phase put back in. Single phase is fine for our current requirements but am thinking maybe keep 3 phase just in case for future car charging and if I ever can afford to build a workshop.  Can anyone tell me if there’s extra cost involved in the standing charges or kw used or is just the same as single phase?

Keep the 3ph, damn sight cheaper now than as retrofit.

I paid £500 extra to have it installed over single phase. Don't think we pay any more than a single phase on standing charge etc. But it's all we've ever had.

My need was for garage equipment, not that I get in there much these days due to house build ?

No extra cost for standing charge or per kw for my 3 phase. But there was already a 3 phase account set up on a weird tariff. Don't know if setup cost might be greater for new account than single phase.

Definitely go for 3 phase if you can I reckon.

43 minutes ago, Vijay said:

I think I read somewhere that it wasn't as easy to find cheap deals to change to if that matters to you

Yes there are no smart meters yet so some of the best deals aren’t available but it depends on your usage and there are still some good deals that don’t need a smart meter. 

I’m not aware that I pay anymore for 3 phase in terms of my current tariff. 

For £350 definitely keep it. You can always ask your supplier for a single phase meter even if the DNO has provided a 3phase cutout, so having 3 phase supply strictly increases your options and doesn't remove any.