Opinion sought on what to leave out of VAT reclaim

There are a few invoices/receipts that, from the brilliant advice I have found on here so far, I am sure will get rejected by HMRC. For example, lighting bought from BHS before they went bump (and then got reincarnated with a different company and VAT number) for which I don't have a proper VAT invoice. Or where all the required information for a VAT invoice is there, but it just says order confirmation on the header, even though I have asked for a VAT invoice. Would you leave them in and let HMRC reject them, (even if there are a lot and I don't really want to wind up the poor soul going through our 456 invoices on our claim), or just take out most(?) of them to get a quicker turnaround. 

To put it into context, the total reclaim is over £17,000 if I leave them all in, or £15,500 approx if I took them all out.

and a word of advice - don't do what I have done and leave it all to the end. The sooner in your build you set up a good system the easier it will be in the end

6 minutes ago, Bodgerbedge said:

Would you leave them in and let HMRC reject them

Personally I would leave them in. I had one or two that said 'order' and they were accepted but others have had them rejected. It seems to be very dependent on who processes your claim. Do you have the receipt / payment confirmation from the companies? If so maybe attach those to evidence that you actually paid it. Legally VAT registered companies only have to supply VAT receipts to VAT registered companies yet here we have a process where HMRC expect people who are clearly not registered for VAT to supply something that the supplier doesn't have to provide. 

You only need 10 posts to see the forum guide by the way ... 

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I thought small value invoices were allowed without full details.  I would include them all, and they might all get paid.

They seem to accept small receipts as you say (which is generally an evidence of payment). I think where it says order (and possibly for a larger amount) they might not accept them but it's the luck of the draw it seems. 

11 minutes ago, Bodgerbedge said:

The sooner in your build you set up a good system the easier it will be in the end

Indeed. Logging and tracking invoices for budgeting as well as the VAT reclaim was my regular Sunday evening job. I was glad that I had done so when it came to claim! 

I had a few receipts that I wasn’t sure about, some in builders name and even one that wasn’t a receipt but a worksheet for glass I had ordered from a local company. The ones in the builders names I put an asterisk next to with an explanation below as to why it was in their name and everything went through no problem.