Discount Offers of the Week

21 minutes ago, jack said:

I open a lot of windows so that the acrid smell of burning oil/fat leaves the house as quickly as possible.  It's a difficult smell to describe, but I find it extremely unpleasant.

I don't seem to get that smell so much ( I know the one you're taking about) - I try to give it a good clean before hand and mop up any wet or loose material.

Also got a spray from Neff that's used on cold ovens, supposed to be as effective as the burn. Not used it yet - could well smell just as bad!

• Like 1

Just now, Bitpipe said:

I don't seem to get that smell so much ( I know the one you're taking about) - I try to give it a good clean before hand and mop up any wet or loose material.

I do the same, but it still stinks. 

No-one else seems too worried by the smell - I just have a delicate nose :$

3 minutes ago, jack said:

I do the same, but it still stinks. 

No-one else seems too worried by the smell - I just have a delicate nose :$

How on earth did you survive all those chain smoking, farting builders :) 

Just now, Bitpipe said:

How on earth did you survive all those chain smoking, farting builders :) 

We had a strict no-smoking/vaping policy inside the house, and oddly enough most of the tradespeople we had onsite didn't smoke.  

I was also surprised to notice that "builders' tea" is now far less likely to involve sugar.  I'd say 90% of the people we had onsite took tea with milk and no sugar.

Following on, NEFF Induction hobs. This is the best I have spotted, but there seem to be numbers of offers around from some independents.

And the hob as something like this NEFF T40B31X2GB at £349 (Currys price for similar model : NEFF T40B30X2GB = £449 minus 10% voucher code)

http://www.whitakers-appliances.co.uk/neff-t40b31x2gb-induction-hob/

which comes with a free set of 4 Neff Induction pans (rrp £120 but there seems to have been a general offer from Neff so ebay is heaving with new sets at £30 or so):

http://www.whitakers-appliances.co.uk/free-pan-set-with-neff-induction-hobs/

That offer may work for @Crofter due to the price and the free pans, but I am advised to go for a Ceramic due to traditional conservatism of tenants in my area.

I wrote about the price comparisons with Howdens and Appliances Direct here:

Ferdinand

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the generator. It's not as noisy as some of that type, but noisier than a Honda suitcase gennie, obviously. I've not used it much but so far have been quite impressed- starts easily, very portable. I use it to drive a 1400w pressure washer which it does much better than even my limited arithmetic suggests is possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Lidl DIY tools special coming up on Thusday. Some Parkside 20V Li-Ion tools and a generator for £120.

Worth a look https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?id=242&week=1

£37 all in for a 180Nm 20V impact driver with 3yr g'tee makes you think.

Why 20V though? Think they had some 16V stuff a while back too. Not that it matters as one brand doesn't fit another. Only Parkside tool I have is the corded multitool and tbh I can't fault it.

I've the previous incarnation of the gennie- £65 at the warehouse clearance last autumn. It's pretty impressive- smart throttle using a stepper motor. Doesn't idle down that low with no load and hunts a little under low loads when cold, but as @Crofter says it pushes out the watts...

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox
28 minutes ago, Onoff said:

£37 all in for a 180Nm 20V impact driver with 3yr g'tee makes you think.

That's the one that caught my eye too - As a backup for the Makita it's very tempting

51 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

That's the one that caught my eye too - As a backup for the Makita it's very tempting

I thought that but you can get a bare Makita for like £60. Not worth the grief of another incompatible battery type imo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I'm tempted by the generator.  I wonder how noisy it is?  It'd only be a back up for power cuts, and 1200W is more than enough to keep our house going most of the time.

Do Lidl give you a 28 day no quibble return policy, like Aldi?

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Do Liddle give you a 28 day no quibble return policy, like Aldi?

I've no idea, as I've never actually stepped foot into a Lidl store yet (or Aldi, come to that!).  I'll ask on Thursday, provided they have stock locally.

Here:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Information-4261.htm

REFUND POLICY

Food/grocery items

If you are not satisfied with the quality of a food/grocery item purchased at one of our stores within its Best Before date (where applicable), we are happy to give you a full refund if returned within 30 days of purchase or, if returned more than 30 days after purchase, offer you a replacement if available or a full refund. Simply bring it back with your proof of purchase.

Non-Food specials items

a) Faulty Non-Food specials items
- Within 12 months of purchase:
If you are not satisfied with the quality of a non-food specials item purchased at one of our stores, you may return the item within one year of purchase with your receipt or proof of purchase to one of our stores, for a replacement or a full refund.
- After 12 months of purchase:
If more than 12 months after purchase you find a fault with the quality of a non-food specials item purchased at one of our stores, please contact our Customer Services department for assistance and an experienced operator will talk you through your options.

b) Non-faulty Non-Food specials items
If you simply change your mind about a non-food specials item purchased at one of our stores, you may still return the product to store for a full refund within 30 days of purchase, as long as you return it with your receipt and in its original packaging.

Not sure what happens if you have used the Generator though. May be OK if minimal testing, as LiDL will probably just take it back and the supplier will take responsibility.

When I bought Aldi cycling kit, I had no idea how I related to the stick-insect chic which prevails, so I bought one of everything in all the sizes over M to try. Turns out that little me is a cycling XXL. Aldi were fine.

F