House naming..need inspiration

Our build will be rural hence no numbers and we need a name. 

We've deliberated for a while but nothing has felt great....

My favourite so far was 'Thunder thunder lightning house ' chucked into the hat by my 6 year old son. I'd have done it but..swmbo wasnt too keen. 

It's in Scotland, 4 acre site,  with two small woods either side and a burn running through...but anything associated with that seems a little boring 

Woodside, burnside, treetops, house on the corner (as it sits at the corner of the road...)...and so forth have been chucked around but not getting anywhere fast. 

I realise it's very subjective a d hard ti name but feel free to chuck anything into the pot and help us out. Doesn't need to be directly associated....I did suggest Asgard (if you're  a marvel fan you'll get it) apparently also unacceptable. 1391521277_elevatedviewlookingwestfromeastextent.thumb.jpg.3b786f5872749ec6610f5a32b981cba1.jpg

I think a name will emerge as you build.

Just keep a notebook or chalkboard and note them down.

Build a track and call it either "Field of Sheep" or "Old Lady's House" !

Or more seriously plant an group of interesting trees, or plant hundreds of some unusual flowers  in your wildflower meadow area that are rarities and need preserving, and name it after that. Somebody on BH has called theirs "Turner's Oak" IIRC.

Look at the list of trees suggested for replacing ashes suffering from dieback which is quite interesting - I think I heard them mention Red Oaks, which are distinctive and grow quickly throughout the UK.

Can you grow a Cedar of Lebanon up there - you have the space?

You need to think what you want it to look like for your grandchildren, or in 2070. We used to have a 2 acre garden planted by the mid-Victorians, and it was a delight. We used to get daffodils from February to May, and it had the best weeping beech I have ever seen.

Let it steep for a couple of years.

Edited by Ferdinand

We were influenced by house names around us which a lot were based on trees, woodland etc. We have a burn through the garden but our neighbour is already called Burnside. Most of our trees are willow, so we settled on Willow Burn. 

The decision was influenced by the fact WillowBurn.net was available.  Some other names were ruled out because no sensible domain name was available to go with them.

If you want something more Gaelic, we considered Tigh Na Fein which is as close as I could get to self built house.

• Like 1

We actually have a lot of Rowan trees but....my daughter is called Rowan (named before we had the plot)..so we had to rule it out as Jude would not be happy. 

I like Woodside but wife didnt. She likes Bonnie  view...which I am not a fan of. 

Something in me says name it something ridiculously cool because I only plan on doing it once. But the pragmatic  me says name it something so delivery drivers find it easily. 

49 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

My favourite so far was 'Thunder thunder lightning house ' chucked into the hat by my 6 year old son. I'd have done it but..swmbo wasnt too keen. 

Man I can empathize with this one. We have a lighty wooded acre with a burn and all the suggested names so far seem a bit boring to me. My wife is not having my favourite, The Wasp Factory on account that neighbours will think we're mental. 

The house is a black barn style and we have deer, foxes and have even seen a willdcat/hybrid passing through so I think it will end up as a combination. Safe but dull.

As per @Ferdinand

Get the house built first and then the right name will come.  

I also agree with @ProDave surroundings are a good method.

We have trees, mountains, sea, a loch and the remains of a iron age structure in our surroundings, so we will use a name connected to these.

One of the names we are considering is Darach which is Gaelic for Oak, as we have a quite a few oak trees on our access. 

Quite a few older and new properties are called 'Taigh Name' (Taigh meaning house in Gaelic) 

Edited by Thedreamer
  • Like 1

Not sure about Scotland, but here you have to follow the local house naming guidance and have any proposed name approved by the local authority (who charge you for the privilege).  We were given a list of words we could not use in a house name, some because of common sense and some because those words were already in use locally.

One of our "banned" words was Willow, along with Mill and Orchard!

We ended up with Mayfly Barn because I'd already been using the domain name Mayfly for years, we found the new house covered in dead or dying mayflies from the stream a couple of years ago, and there used to be a barn and stable on our plot from the date of the earliest map we could find (about 1780) until about 1980 when they were pulled down.  Being clad with larch the house also looks a bit like a barn.

As many of you know I have refused to pay the council house naming tax.  We just chose a name and started using it.

The result of that is it appears on every known database, including the councils own street naming database, DNO and telecoms databases, even the OS land registry map has the house name on it.  The only place it does not appear is the Postcode Address File. And it will only ever get there it seems if I pay the council £100 so they can notify Royal Mail. RM won't accept notification from any other source.

At least that also meant nobody could object to our chosen name.  I did check first there were no other similar names close to us.

2 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Yes local council had to approve the name we intended to use I think mostly to check there wasn’t another named the same in the area. We have a Beechgrove, Beechlea and Rowan bank near us so we went for willow park, we do have a couple of willow trees in the garden!

There was me thinking that Willow Park was some sort of celebrity sproglet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Look at the list of trees suggested for replacing ashes suffering from dieback which is quite interesting - I think I heard them mention Red Oaks, which are distinctive and grow quickly throughout the UK.

Can you grow a Cedar of Lebanon up there - you have the space?

Let it steep for a couple of years.

@Ferdinand the site was actually all planted 20 years ago with elm, Rowans, cherry trees, birch along with willow and Adder(sp?) lots of sitka spruce and conifers  to provide protection too. This was do e by the current owner as he planned to build here but has sold to me.  

Like the wildflowers idea. The edges are lined with daffodils and something else so it looks great in spring. 

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Try an app like this? Chuck in a few pertinent names relative to the location  and see what comes up:

https://www.name-generator.org.uk/house/

Maybe not it seems to ask for a bit too much info?

@Onoff tried that previously and gave some good stuff but nothing stuck out. 

4 hours ago, Randomiser said:

Following your son’s suggestion how about shortening that to Thunder Box.

@Randomiser sounds... cool but slightly  wrong possibly. Lol

2 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Not sure about Scotland, but here you have to follow the local house naming guidance and have any proposed name approved by the local authority (who charge you for the privilege).  We were given a list of words we could not use in a house name, some because of common sense and some because those words were already in use locally.

@Jeremy Harris I have to register it but dont know if I need to follow the guidance. If so I'll be ignoring as the local area is pokelly (pokelly farm wtc) which I'm not into....

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

As many of you know I have refused to pay the council house naming tax.  We just chose a name and started using it.

The result of that is it appears on every known database, including the councils own street naming database, DNO and telecoms databases, even the OS land registry map has the house name on it.  The only place it does not appear is the Postcode Address File. And it will only ever get there it seems if I pay the council £100 so they can notify Royal Mail. RM won't accept notification from any other source.

At least that also meant nobody could object to our chosen name.  I did check first there were no other similar names close to us.

@ProDave very interesting. I've had two houses over the years which we had problems with the correct name being registered with RM and ended up causing me hassle with mortgages and things like that  as addresses were different..I'll.probably pay the cash to ensure zero hassle. Even thiighbits just another bump..

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Somebody on BH has called theirs "Turner's Oak" IIRC.

That would be me. Sadly the Turner's Oak (Quercus x turneri) tree that it was named after died 10 years later. I'm going to plant another next winter.

• Sad 1