Our Holiday Let project with renewables

We’re having a 60sqm holiday let built, after knocking down a horrible old garage

It will include triple glazed aluminium windows. Under floor heating (with minimal screed to allow faster warm up due to sporadic occupation), 8kw Ecodan (mainly for DHW) and a 9kWp in roof solar array. 

The holiday let will be linked to the main house via 3ph supply so we can utilise the PV excess on our main house (260sqm barn conversion, circa 1800s with ASHP)

progress pics so far...

7A3A11A8-478A-41F3-A56B-C0DB64B80545.jpeg

6EFA66ED-F6EF-4E0C-AF79-B9565DC2B770.jpeg

• Like 2

Good stuff, as always starting from scratch looks so much easier, quicker, cheeper, etc etc ....... I see the supervisor is a chicken so none of the usual monkeys on site. 
‘what part of the world are you in ?  I am trying desperately to get back to my cottage renovations so that I can get it rented out........  but family, life and everything unexpected are hindering my good intentions....... keep the photos coming!  

C0C0BEF2-FB88-40DD-88A2-D19F74FE769C.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Good stuff, as always starting from scratch looks so much easier, quicker, cheeper, etc etc ....... I see the supervisor is a chicken so none of the usual monkeys on site. 
‘what part of the world are you in ?  I am trying desperately to get back to my cottage renovations so that I can get it rented out........  but family, life and everything unexpected are hindering my good intentions....... keep the photos coming!  

C0C0BEF2-FB88-40DD-88A2-D19F74FE769C.jpeg

Thanks CPD. Your cottage looks lovely. 

we’re in the Ribble Valley in Lancashire. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well the holiday let is almost complete

Today we turned on the Solar. So far generating about 4.5kW (8kWp system), not bad for a partially overcast spring day

Weve got the solar on the holiday let roof, but then it also comes through our main house supply. 

2 Apollo Gem optimisers, so the house runs off 1 phase, the other 2 phases power the holiday let and any excess is diverted to 3 water tanks:

2x DHW (one in holiday let, one residential)

1x Buffer tank for ASHP

So if the hot water is already warm enough, the buffer tank will heat up which is useful for these shoulder months where it can be a bit chilly sometimes in the evening in the main house

Hoping this will bring our £300/mo elec bill down! (All our heating, cooking etc is on elec as no gas)

4F8F61EE-B0A4-4231-8F36-2E7A21A8C61F.jpeg

2D414575-55C1-48BB-85BE-9BD648538002.jpeg

6E16B7A3-6CE1-4AA7-8D19-D1DED7B69540.jpeg

88775542-DA87-45AC-B07B-9C866E8312DF.jpeg

• Like 1