Garage floor - how much insulation?

dnb

I have a grand plan for a large detatched garage with my new house. Surprisingly the planning department agreed to it, so it would be rude not to build it if the cost over-runs on the house allow ?

It has to have a beam and block floor due to heavy clay soil, trees and other annoyances, but other than that, I have a pretty clear run at building a 6 metre by 12.5 metre "man cave". I am currently working through my options for the floor. I will be spending time there with broken TVRs - so a comfortably insulated floor seems a good idea. I will also be installing a 2 post lift in one end. The beam and block will naturally be specced with this in mind. I am wondering how much and what type of insulation I should use. EPS200 seems a sensible choice from my limited reading so far. (I can't see me converting the garage into a dwelling so I wasn't going to allow for this other than saying the effective ceiling height would easily allow a second floor to be laid) Any pointers gratefully received.

Edited by dnb

Consider using something like the Tetris floor system then put 200mm of reinforced concrete on the top. Could always have a cheap ASHP feeding some heating loops too so that you can keep warm kneeling on the floor ......

Not sure the 2 post can be fitted to a beam and block floor though - may have to put pads below to take the loads. 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Not sure the 2 post can be fitted to a beam and block floor

I'm not sure either. But will it be a problem if there's enough depth of reinforced concrete on the top for the securing bolts and the imposed loads are kept within spec? I can only see it doubling the "point" loading versus a car parked on all four wheels - tyre contact patches are very small when all said and done. It's one of the questions awaiting an answer with the beam and block people. They aren't the most comunicative people around and tend to do exactly as asked, therefore I need to have a bit of understanding so I can ask for the right thing.

More RC depth does of course reduce insulation opportunity.

I was hoping to avoid too much heating in the garage, but a nice warm floor to lie on and curse my cars does sound pleasant now I'm getting older. I don't kneel too much - it's bad for my knees.

My work shop is about the same size and we are on heavy clay (but no trees) I put no insulation under a 6” concrete slab with steel reinforcement and didn’t insulate as the roof is steel with no insulation so any heat would escape as quickly as it came in. I dream of a two post lift but don’t do that much car work anymore. I wear my old ski ing kit when working in cold weather ?????