Raised Hearth ideas

We currently have a stove in our bungalow and want to keep the stove itself. The wall will come out and be completely rebuilt as the room will be seperate, e.g. where our bed it you won't see as the kitchen will be the other side.

We definitely like the raised hearth, so much easier to clean and for heat distribution but we are looking at ideas for the hearth itself. Do we go for an exposed flue or not (we currently have a chimney but the whole roof, chimney etc needs replacing). Of course I don't want the naff red bricks and tiles but any suggestions.

Ideally I'd prefer a flat top stove but as there is absolutely nothing up with our Clearview we are saving money and keeping it, just updating it.

15815996444918307295446085002722.jpg

@joe90 looks far nicer! Wonder if our stone could be sprayed. I've seen red and blue colour spray ?

I Idefinitely don't want red brick though. The best thing currently is here are nails in the bricks from the previous owner and I can hang washing on them to dry. In the absence of heating in any other room, getting out of the shower and yelling for the warm towel is one of the nicest treats in our current situation!

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Like 1

We used a single piece of caithness slab for the hearth, was very heavy. The stone merchant we went to had all sorts of stuff, some of the marble was like looking at a hubble telescope photo.

Half of the stove surround is dense concrete blocks with a lime render on the inside.

P1170587.thumb.JPG.6203280952f4d2b36aa971073f8c6dbb.JPG

Edited by Thedreamer
  • Like 1

I put mine on a slab of granite from a local stone mason. He had some gloss black left over from a kitchen and I got him to hone off the gloss surface.

I had considered slate but was told it scratched and marked easily.

If it's just the colour of the bricks you dont like, consider brick slips.

Edited by Temp

On 13/02/2020 at 13:19, canalsiderenovation said:

Ideally I'd prefer a flat top stove but as there is absolutely nothing up with our Clearview we are saving money and keeping it, just updating it.

Pretty sure the angled cover on the top of your Clearview stove has a flat plate under it - you may be able to get it removed if you wanted the flat version. 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 23:12, PeterW said:

Pretty sure the angled cover on the top of your Clearview stove has a flat plate under it - you may be able to get it removed if you wanted the flat version. 

Unfortunately not, we have a Clearview Stove place local to us and have been in and asked. It's fixed on. Can't justify the expense of buying another when the guy in the shop made a point of saying how good ours is and the OH was there. I have no argument ?