Extension and Knock Through Costs?

pmitchell

Hi, I've recently bought a mid terrace house and need some working doing.  There is a utility at the back of the house next to the rear lounge.  It roughly measures 2 x 2.5m.  I want to extend it by a further a 3m and then open up the entrance from the lounge to the what will then become our kitchen.  The final piece of work is a knock through.  The rear lounge is currently open plan to the existing kitchen.   The knock through needs widening by a further meter.  A new rsj needs fitting as well as the plastering etc.

The extension  I think should be about 8-10k as a basic build - no frills needed.  What do you think about the knock throughs?

Screenshot_20200207-105704_Rightmove.jpg

Screenshot_20200207-105328_Rightmove.jpg

Edited by pmitchell

The extended room will be relatively long and narrow, so do you plan to have a single run of units down one side galley style?  Will the existing kitchen become more reception space?  As Russell mentions an extension across yhe back may be a better option if possible.

Edited by Randomiser

Its cost more than anything.  I have a budget to do this as well as the bathroom, cosmetics and furnish.  You're right though, the kitchen would be a one sided gally kitchen which bends into the lounge as a breakfast bar.  I've had a quote of 15-18k which I think is rediculous.  Hoping a lot less.  I've added a pic of what I want it to look like.

Screenshot_20200207-110123_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think you're main issue here is the width of the existing 'utility room', I'm assuming its 2.5m wide x 2m long?

If you are going galley kitchen, or u shaped, the remaining floor space is going to be very restricted. My kitchen is 3.2m wide, and its tight. In an ideal world you would want the new extension to replace the existing utility and be at least as wide as the dining room. Try and think about the quality of the space you'll end up with. The picture you have just posted, is an example of what i've just described, so its obvious that you are dreaming of something more than what you've drawn primarily.

Appreciate you are on a budget though, and I've never had to call on trades to do building work so I don't really know how much stuff costs, only the materials. Perhaps you haven't found the right builder yet?

EDIT: Sorry just re-read your post, about it being a one sided kitchen, perhaps the width isn't too much of an issue in that case.

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

Would it cost more to go across the back of the house?  How wide is the house in total, about 6m?  Assuming that 6m with the Utility 2.5m wide by 2.0m deep and you go across the back you would add c.7.0m2 versus your current plan adding c.7.5m2.  Plus you would have to build less new wall, your plan needs you to build 8.5m or new external wall, going across the back would only require c.5.5m.  Yes, if you open up the back of the existing house you will need to add steel to support the wall above, but overall I can’t see it being dramatically more than you existing plan.

Edited by Randomiser