Drying Washing Indoors

I'm playing with ways of drying washing indoors efficiently, and I would welcome comparisons.

Currently experimenting with a drying rack in my downstairs bathroom either in the big shower cubicle, or just in the room, which is the warmest room and has an extractor fan.

I find that leaving the fan on dries a load in about 16 hours.

How long do other people's efforts take? 

Bear in mind that I do not have full MVHR.

I could get a Pulley Maid for the utility, but I am not convinced that would be much better, or I could potentially stick a dehumidifier in the bathroom with the washing.

Ferdinand

We have a pulley maid in our utility (plant) room. Full MVHR. Takes overnight to dry - similar to your 16hrs. The room is a bit warmer than the rest of the house as ASHP, DHW, PV inverter all add to it.

Moving air and removing the moisture are big factors - so an extract or dehumidifier+fan should work well.

Pulley in the utility room. MVHR extract vent above it.  Dry in a few hours. Never makes the room feel damp and no condensation issues.

Some stuff goes in the tumble dryer to "make if fluffy" but we have learned it does not need to "dry" in the TD, just have some time being fluffed up. That too then comes out, still a bit damp, and goes on the pulley.  It passes the "fluffy" test when dry.

In the summer we use a washing line.  Eventually when we build the car port, there will be a washing line under there to avoid the frustration of the washing being nearly dry then a shower comes along.

• Like 1

I put clothes on hangers and hand them from the curtain rail. I open the window a little.

Usually dries overnight, worst is 24 hours. Usually it is the back of the house, so North East facing little sunlight.

Towels and bed linen I hang from stair banisters, well the dwarf wall to the side of stairs.

If I can use the line, washing is blown dry in a couple if hours.

Occasionally dry on a line outdoors but mostly on a drying rack in the kitchen with a dehumidifier running. Clothes are generally dry enough that I can safely finish them off on radiators in other rooms in a few hours: e.g., washing on at breakfast then first batch to radiators early evening. First lot away and second lot on radiators just before I go to bed.

I have positioned one of our exhaust heat recovery vents in the utility room where we plan to dry clothes in the winter months. 

We will use one of those heated drying racks and this should allow the warm moist air to be recycled into our mini hot water heat pump. 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I'm playing with ways of drying washing indoors efficiently, and I would welcome comparisons.

[...]

Straight out of one Bosch into the other.

One washes, her partner dries - well - condenses.

What with  cooking, cleaning, washing, shopping, walking the dogs and building  - do you think a girl like me has the time? 

?

You men - you've got time to experiment have you, eh? Typical.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Straight out of one Bosch into the other.

One washes, her partner dries - well - condenses.

What with  cooking, cleaning, washing, shopping, walking the dogs and building  - do you think a girl like me has the time? 

?

You men - you've got time to experiment have you, eh? Typical.

And to be fair, I still have to strip half the beds from Christmas visitors.

And I am planning to move the tumble dryer to be directly next to the washer - just like yours. That will create space for a second dishwasher.

More seriously, I do have more time at present as I have lost my caring responsibilities, and am trying to get back into the swing of maintaining a more extensive network of friends, looking for volunteering opportunities and membership groups etc. Potentially quite a creative time. 

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

I can hang a washing up on a clothes horse in the kitchen (which usually sits about 18 degrees ) at night and it is dry by mid morning the next day, no condensation to be seen, I do have a condenser drier but I very rarely use it unless I’m in a hurry for something. Much prefer to hang it out though in the better weather!

We got a heated drying rail in the days of the caravan - used to put it in the greenhouse alongside the washing machine.

Now it sits in the utility under the MVHR extract vent. As the house humidity is quite low (30%) everything dries quite quickly. Folds up and hangs on wall when not in use.

Rarely turn on the heating aspect, maybe if there is something needed urgently or if it's particularly heavy material.

Now, like loading the dishwasher it has become a source low level martial friction as we have different styles of hanging out the laundry.

Do you have a compulsion to pair every sock at this stage or, like me, match them up when putting away.

Discuss...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

We got a heated drying rail in the days of the caravan - used to put it in the greenhouse alongside the washing machine.

Now it sits in the utility under the MVHR extract vent. As the house humidity is quite low (30%) everything dries quite quickly. Folds up and hangs on wall when not in use.

Rarely turn on the heating aspect, maybe if there is something needed urgently or if it's particularly heavy material.

Now, like loading the dishwasher it has become a source low level martial friction as we have different styles of hanging out the laundry.

Do you have a compulsion to pair every sock at this stage or, like me, match them up when putting away.

Discuss...

I have socks which are generally all the same above the foot, even though they may have different colours on the toes :-).

Or at least only a couple of versions.

Rather like the slight advantage of a dust-coloured car.

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I have socks which are generally all the same above the foot, even though they may have different colours on the toes :-).

Or at least only a couple of versions.

Rather like the slight advantage of a dust-coloured car.

But do you mix & match with abandon or stick religiously to the toe coding?

29 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

But do you mix & match with abandon or stick religiously to the toe coding?

If it can’t be seen I don’t worry about it.

Irritates “all screw heads aligned”  people in “shoes off” houses.

?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Real obsessives will be satisfied today as magenta and green are complementary colours.

At least they're on the correct feet. Other way round would annoy. Port and starboard. Select the white text if that makes no sense.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Real obsessives will be satisfied today as magenta and green are complementary colours.

EFA83815-44D3-4C34-866E-DB5F62DA690D.thumb.jpeg.427b3fe80f13849509b8cfe2b1bfb3c1.jpeg

Are you a sailor?

Red, Port, to the left. Green, Starboard to the right.

(I bet you have another pair that will be the wrong way round)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Are you a sailor?

I actually had matching green one next to the pink one this morning, but decided life was too short to be boring.

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Are you a sailor?

I do but they are reserved for walking backwards.

Edited by Ferdinand