TATA Colour Coat Urban "Dimpling"

Ralph

We are planning to roof with TATA Colour Coat Urban standing seam.

My builder has been in touch to say that he's just seen a similar roof (not one of his jobs) that seems to "dimple" when it warms up when the heating is on, but pops back when it's cool. 

To me this sounds like an issue either with the installation of the metal or the insulation in the roof space.

Any experiences with this or thoughts?

Have you looked at a similar product from a co called metal solutions, we looked at tata but I wasn’t happy with the fixing method. 

The metal solutions one has a stainless steel clip so the sheet can move under the fixings, the tata one is fixed directly through the sheet. 

Tbh any metal roof will expand and contract. 

Have a look at a zink roof they can have a few ripples. 

• Thanks 1

Its an issue with metal roofs that can occur. Like people said before, it's an issue of tightening screws too much. So partly to do with the way you fix it . Also sheets can be designed wrong. Any straight metal sheet will have problems to compensate the stress of movements within. So the more profile it has, the better. We do not really sell any of these roofs without profile anymore for that reason.

Can work with straight pieces, but the risk is oil canning appearing 2-3 years down the line.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you looked at a similar product from a co called metal solutions, we looked at tata but I wasn’t happy with the fixing method. 

The metal solutions one has a stainless steel clip so the sheet can move under the fixings, the tata one is fixed directly through the sheet. 

Tbh any metal roof will expand and contract. 

Have a look at a zink roof they can have a few ripples. 

We have a Tata steel roof which has been on for two years and it is fine. Yes the panels are secured through the panel but they are an elongated hole which allows movement and seems to be ok on our roof

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Pete said:

We have a Tata steel roof which has been on for two years and it is fine. Yes the panels are secured through the panel but they are an elongated hole which allows movement and seems to be ok on our roof

That is good to know. 

One of the reasons for going for Colour Coat Urban is that it is apparently suitable for cladding the walls of our first floor. While oil canning or dimpling on the roof would be bad I'm imaging it would be much more noticeable on the wall. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Whilst the holes in the panels are elongated, you need to make sure the fasteners are not hammered in to tight so as to allow movement. 

I've had some contact with Tata Steel and it looks like while you can mitigate oil canning to a certain extent, through correct materials handling and installation, it still may occur due to the manufacturing. 

It does not seem like you have much comeback either way as it's not considered a materials defect. I get the impression you would be stuck between the installer and the manufacturer with regards to responsibility.  

@Ralph

This is 100% true. And you're not really stuck between anybody. You just not gonna get anything. It's like buying timber and then complaining that it moves. That's what it does. It might not happen and if you're careful in your choice, your installation and do everything by the book, then most likely movement (in timber) won't be enough to recognize, but to get a guarantee that it won't happen? Forget about it. Same with oil canning. A lot you can do to prevent it. But if it happens, and you don't "like the look", nobody in this world going to compensate you for it.

3 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Where getting a zinc roof. What can I do to try to reduce the possibility of this happening or is it all down to the installer and their care and equipment?

Nothing its metal, it expands in the heat and contracts in the cold. 

if It’s proper zink it should be fixed to allow for movement. 

Dipples, ripples and tarnishing are part of the character, go and have a look at an old zinc roof. 

19 hours ago, Ralph said:

I've had some contact with Tata Steel and it looks like while you can mitigate oil canning to a certain extent, through correct materials handling and installation, it still may occur due to the manufacturing. 

It does not seem like you have much comeback either way as it's not considered a materials defect. I get the impression you would be stuck between the installer and the manufacturer with regards to responsibility.  

How can anybody be responsible for metal expanding, it’s what it does, 

all you can do is limit the sheet length and allow foe expansion in the fixings. 

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

How can anybody be responsible for metal expanding, it’s what it does,

No but maybe the manufacturer could be responsible for poor milling process or not handling the sheets properly. Or the installer is responsible for over fastening or the roof deck being warped.

My point is it would be difficult to prove either way so it's the chance you take.

55 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Nothing its metal, it expands in the heat and contracts in the cold. 

if It’s proper zink it should be fixed to allow for movement. 

Dipples, ripples and tarnishing are part of the character, go and have a look at an old zinc roof. 

Yes I of cause understand it expands and moves with temperature, however I’ve never seen a zinc roof that has this issue so I’m presuming it’s not really the norm and hence the question. I’m starting to wonder if it’s just cheaper for me to source some TATA equivalents and install myself if it’s going to look a mess I matter in 5 years!

I have used aluminium standing seam on projects and the panels zip together over halters that prevent uplift but allow expansion.  You need Rockwool under the panels or you can hear the noise from the expansion / contraction.  The centre of each sheet is mechanically fixed so it does not creep over the roof.

On 17/02/2020 at 18:16, gc100 said:

Does anyone know if added clamps to the standing seams (for PV mounting) , can cause this? Is there anything I can do about it if so?

No, the pv panel clamps are not the reason this might (or might not) happen. Installation best practise and buying the right materials is key to this.

• Thanks 1