Help! What is this on my ceiling....

As above.  As a word of caution, best not to try and sand it off, as some of the older stuff had nasty fibres in it.  Some types will come off with steam, but generally the easiest way to deal with it is to skim it, as @Simplysimon says.

Do you have any idea as to how old it is?  In general, the older stuff was dodgier than the stuff made in the last 20 to 30 years.

I'd agree that that doesn't look like Artex.

It's one of two things - water soluble textured coating, or non-water soluble textured coating. Test an area by keeping it moist for 20 minutes (wall paper paste is surprisingly good at doing this, on larger areas, but for a test area, just keep dabbing it with a wet paintbrush). If it goes soft, and you can now easily scrape it off, you have the former; if it remains firm, it is the latter.

Early stuff that is non-water soluble from 40 or more years ago, may have asbestos fibres in it. This poses no risk to health, as long as you do not damage the surface.

What to do about it? Well if it's water soluble, you could wet the whole ceiling and get scraping, but you are likely to need to skim the ceiling afterwards. If the stuff is non-water soluble, your only real course of action is to skim it. Sometimes, if the finish is very rough, and the ceiling uneven, it can be easier to plasterboard the ceiling, possibly with taped joints, or a thin skim over.

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

are the artex removers no good?

Worked well for me on the bathroom ceiling in my old house though it did need a lot splodging on, leave to soak, splodge a bit more and eventually it came off. I doubted it was old enough to be the asbestos stuff but wasn't completely sure so was pleased that it came off in soggy lumps with very little dust. Goggles and mask, though.