Battery Storage recommendations

Thorfun

On 11/08/2022 at 08:49, Dillsue said:

If the batteries are AC coupled then they have the potential to feed into the grid in addition to the 6kw PV you have approval to export. If your batteries can push out 5kw and your PV push out 6kw then your DNO will want to assess you potential export as 11kw.

Thanks. This has pointed me in the right direction for my set up:  If I am right, 6kW Hybrid Inverter (same kW as existing inverter )with DC battery connection so no need to be reassessed. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Thanks. This has pointed me in the right direction for my set up:  If I am right, 6kW Hybrid Inverter (same kW as existing inverter )with DC battery connection so no need to be reassessed. 

Spot on. If DC connected, the inverter does the overall limiting whether its from PV, batteries or both.

Technically you should tell the DNO about the change of inverter and if the new and old have the same limited output and have a manufacturers cert on the ENA database there'd be no issue

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

Spot on. If DC connected, the inverter does the overall limiting whether its from PV, batteries or both.

Technically you should tell the DNO about the change of inverter and if the new and old have the same limited output and have a manufacturers cert on the ENA database there'd be no issue

Yes guessed as much. Thanks.

On 06/06/2022 at 15:21, joth said:

actually it does: the quooker blasts on its 3kW load immediately after you pull each and every cuppa so it has the same issue.

TBH I wish it had an eco mode where it just used 1kW to slowly reboil after a cuppa, and only cranked on the 3kW element if you pull several litres from it.

And for periodic reheating, even more so: having a 500W element to gently re-boil would be far more efficient throughout a dreary PV day than short-cycle blasting 3kW into it.

As it stands it's actually really inefficient if we're heating water for pasta etc, as we pull boiling water from the quooker then put it straight on the inductions hob, resulting in them both being on simultaneously, making a 6kW+ load which very likely pushes over the inverter output.

Jumping in on this, we have a Qettle, it had a longer warranty and was cheaper. it draws about 1.2kw and appers to be very efficient. I have it on a smart plug so it goes off when away from home and at night.

1 hour ago, Fly100 said:

Jumping in on this, we have a Qettle, it had a longer warranty and was cheaper. it draws about 1.2kw and appers to be very efficient. I have it on a smart plug so it goes off when away from home and at night.

Reading my previous post I see it's misleading: I'm not saying the Quooker is particularly inefficient in of itself. It has 10W standing losses for a 7L tank, and has energy rating A. Combined with zero wasted water running off the kitchen hot tap it is pretty efficient component on its own.

It's really just the self-consumption of PV that it's not optimal for. A 1.2kW Qettle would be better, but a bimodal with a "trickle" and "boost" option even better 🙂

Oh now I'm looking at the telemetrics the element in the Quooker Combi draws about 2.3kW, not the 3kW I previously stated, FWIW.

Edited by joth

5 hours ago, Fly100 said:

Me too and I love it, however it’s water delivery has recently slowed to a trickle and all the descaling efforts don’t seem to be helping 😞

5 hours ago, Fly100 said:

Me too and I love it, however it’s water delivery has recently slowed to a trickle and all the descaling efforts don’t seem to be helping 😞

23 minutes ago, Wil said:

Have you changed the water filter ? also call them, if its an early model there are a few mods. And if the boiler water is running is the bottom part of the tap neck hot ?

Edited by Fly100

Hi all, just a quick one to decide whether it's worth spending any time further researching/pursuing quotes etc. What sort of money is in a Tesla Powerwall or similar (Powervault etc)? We have 4kW solar PV but may later up-spec that and in the medium term will be getting an EV to charge. 

6 minutes ago, eandg said:

Hi all, just a quick one to decide whether it's worth spending any time further researching/pursuing quotes etc. What sort of money is in a Tesla Powerwall or similar (Powervault etc)? We have 4kW solar PV but may later up-spec that and in the medium term will be getting an EV to charge. 

I was quoted £9500 + VAT in March 2022 so could be anywhere upward of that by now! also, you won't find one for love nor money. I was quoted 12 months lead time.

I did post a news article alluding to changes coming with Powerwalls later this year so maybe stock is so low because they're getting ready for a new model? or maybe at least a change on the PW2?

if you're dead set on a Powerwall then maybe wait a few months. I decided to bin the idea of the PW2 and have gone a different route.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

I was quoted £9500 + VAT in March 2022 so could be anywhere upward of that by now! also, you won't find one for love nor money. I was quoted 12 months lead time.

I did post a news article alluding to changes coming with Powerwalls later this year so maybe stock is so low because they're getting ready for a new model? or maybe at least a change on the PW2?

if you're dead set on a Powerwall then maybe wait a few months. I decided to bin the idea of the PW2 and have gone a different route.

Thanks, that's great - puts it into the something to think about later category and takes an item off the list for now!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, eandg said:

Thanks, that's great - puts it into the something to think about later category and takes an item off the list for now!

Just FYI, the system I bought was around £4k + VAT (parts only) if that helps. 6.4kWh storage that is very expandable if required. Simply plug another (or more) battery in to get more storage     

others have also gone down the Pylontech route which offers similar results/costs. 

58 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Just FYI, the system I bought was around £4k + VAT (parts only) if that helps. 6.4kWh storage that is very expandable if required. Simply plug another (or more) battery in to get more storage     

others have also gone down the Pylontech route which offers similar results/costs. 

Thanks - back on my list now! Would you recommend the system?

8 hours ago, eandg said:

Thanks - back on my list now! Would you recommend the system?

It’s not installed yet so I can’t comment on the performance yet. Do a search on Pylontech and you’ll see others’ experiences.