A frame house

Tara McNeill

HI all, new here and new to the idea of self building. My partner and I want to build an A frame (triangle) house in Scotland (currently looking at plots), perhaps using a kit by Avrame or plans from Ayfraym / traditional architect. Basically, has anyone done this? Does anyone know how likely we are to get permission? Our location is still quite wide so we can't ask too many specifics with local planning just yet until we narrow the region. TIA

Hi Tara, your PM didn't say anything particularly confidential other than narrowing down your location a bit so I'll answer here.

First question I'd ask is why you want an A-frame?

My reason was to get a large, suitably sloped, surface for lots of solar panels. The usual negative considered with an A-frame is that there's a lot of volume in the bottom corners which goes to waste. In my case I plan to fill that, at least on the north side of the house, with a big water thermal store so that wasn't such a problem for me.

In another thread I recently wrote “I'd have done so much so differently in retrospect but the other side of the grass is always greener, etc”. One thing I was thinking of was the choice of an A-frame. I knew to the mm how high the house was going to finish up but hadn't really appreciated how actually high it is, if you see what I mean. With the relatively steep roof I wanted for winter solar collection it has to be quite high to have any usable space on the second storey (and that's still quite small and only really suitable as a loft space though it could be bedrooms with suitable escape).

The planners were quite positive about the overall design. They liked the fact that it was designed for low energy use even though it was unusual for the area. On the other hand, most of the other houses built in the area in the last 20 years are fairly tedious retirement-type bungalows so any variation is likely to be received positively. I suspect that whether this applies further south will depend very much on the immediate surroundings - it might be OK in one area but not in another 10km away.

As I say, why an A-frame?

One of the plots we looked at when buying our first plot in 2003 had one of those on it, but derelict. I got the distinct impression Highland Council wanted anything BUT an A frame replacement.  Now they are more wanting things to follow the local vernacular, or be totally different.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I suspect you would end up with kindling and broken tiles.

They are probably trying it on as I suspect it would cost £10k to get it taken away.

That is a micky take. Put a match to it. All it's fit for. I was offered a garden room that cost 25k a few years ago. They wanted 10k. They ended up paying £2k to have it ripped down, and carted away. I had to laugh, as i had offered to take it down, and get rid for free previously.

We're definitely not up to a refurb - way beyond our skills, and my thoughts are that it would most likely end up costing us a fortune to salvage - probably for someone who knows a LOT more than us about building!! But thank you for the idea!!

Ed - in response to your question.....and again, probably not the best response on a build forum - where you guys obviously know your stuff, and I am clueless:

My partner and I are teachers working in international schools. We assumed that we would continue with the nomadic life, that is until our two little ones came along. Now, we want roots (for a while anyway!) closer to home. As settling at home was something we never wanted, we struggled with the idea of buying something standard, so building seemed like the logical step. But most of what we have been looking at in terms of design, seems equally standard and therefore, shouldn't we just buy? Really, we wanted build something that we love. And we love the aesthetic of an A frame! They're just beautiful. We've asked on some of the social media groups about pitfalls such as storage, minimal space for a family, potential planning issues, foundations and vermin issues (?!), kits and building issues...the list goes on, but at the end of the day, we can't get past how much we want to live in an A frame. Simple as that! We've been looking keenly at some of the kits - Madi and Avrame, and the Ayfraym plans, and again, we love the idea of a simple, affordable (!laughs) eco friendly solution, but these all compromise on space, except maybe the Avrame trio 150 which might be doable.

There was a 2 bedroom log cabin up the road from us, they wanted it gone as they were rebuilding with a new house.  I could have had it for free if I had been prepared to remove it, but even for firewood that was a lot of effort, and with all the paint and wood treatments it was probably no good for firewood anyway.

48 minutes ago, Tara McNeill said:

And we love the aesthetic of an A frame! They're just beautiful.

Yes, feeling excited about the house you're building is important. If you're up this way (I'm near Lybster) you're of course welcome to come have a look to get an idea of how the shape fits together though I admit even walking around inside I still find it hard to visualize how the rooms will feel once the internal walls, etc, are in.

13 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Yes, feeling excited about the house you're building is important. If you're up this way (I'm near Lybster) you're of course welcome to come have a look to get an idea of how the shape fits together though I admit even walking around inside I still find it hard to visualize how the rooms will feel once the internal walls, etc, are in.

We're living in Cyprus atm, but moving back in June. Would absolutely love to have a look. Your blog gives such insight into what you are doing but I agree... Its so difficult to really get what it would feel like on the ground. Thank you and hopefully will be in touch when we return. Will probably also have a myriad of questions for you as we progress! Thanks Ed. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm keen on building an A Frame house and looked at the Avframe kit, however I'm not convinced it would pass UK Building Regs as a residential building, you might get away with it as holiday home. I've asked the supplier if they have sold any kits to the UK..................answer no!

• 1 year later...

Stumbled across this because I was looking at the Avrame and in Scotland. Did you guys get anywhere? I'm trying to find some cheap land at the moment and I'm open to most areas. I was also looking for small plots and wondered if there were any specific website for that, say a small plot on the corner of an estate.