Tesla Energy Plan

AliG

On 10/02/2020 at 13:28, AliG said:

We use an excessive amount of electricity. About 4000kWh for the Tesla plus around 15000 for the house offset by around 3000 of solar PV.

If you think that's bad, you should see our bill. Apparently we use 3000kWh or £500,  per day.

The wonders of having a "smart" meter replaced:

image.thumb.png.b0b8f38ec927c8230b0ae39458eea242.png

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, joth said:

Fairly sure it's not that simple as they also verify the access line ID that the session is coming in on,

Fairly sure it's not that simple, either.

I have used my modem and login credentials to connect to PlusNet from another PlusNet subscriber's premises on the same exchange. On the other hand, when I tried to connect to Andrews & Arnold from the previous tenant in this house's left over broadband connection (long story) it didn't work. It wasn't A&A that rejected the connection; one of their engineers was watching their systems as I tried to connect as they were curious if it'd work, too, and they didn't see anything.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

I have used my modem and login credentials to connect to PlusNet from another PlusNet subscriber's premises on the same exchange

Interesting question there is, imagining you were both on a metered plan, who's subscription would get billed for this data usage? You'd have thought it would be your own (as that's what your modem is logging in as) but somehow I doubt it's that simple either. (knowing how legacy billing systems were historically built around fixed line unbundling, not IETF derived protocols)

20 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

It really pisses me off the way these companies just increase prices for existing customers.  I'm sure that we started out with a contract that cost around £30/month.

Same as me but every year I tell Plusnet that I will leave and they bring down the price to a sensible level.

Currenty 18 month fixed price £25 for Fibre 40mbps, free evening and weekend calls.

This year I also managed to get the router updated.

You need to tell them the deal you will move to if they do nothing, I usually quote TalkTalk and when they say you know how bad they are I just reply, well I had them for 5 years before and they were fine so give me a decent deal.

Go get them Jeremy!

• Like 1

I have BT in London. I pay £29.99 a month for 50MB broadband, landline and weekend calls(I don't even have a phone plugged in). BT have offered me a new contract on line every time it has run out, I don't even have to speak to anyone.

With Virgin Media in Edinburgh I pay £39.50 for 100MB broadband, weekend calls and the basic TV package. I don't use the phone or the TV package as it was cheaper than having broadband on its own when I renewed. Now that BT have 150MB available in my area I will be calling when my contract runs out in June to get a much better price or move to BT which would be faster and cheaper. For some reason Virgin were very unwilling to discount broadband on its own when I renewed and it was cheaper to take a larger package. I can get 140MB broadband fromBT for £30 a month after cash back.

For ages I didn't like the idea of calling them up and arguing every year, but now that I am used to it, it is necessary to get a reasonable price.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Not quite my understanding?  They will have to tell you what their cheapest rate is and what new customers would be offered. Not quite the same as automatically giving that to you. I will bet you still have to request it.

Looks like you may be right, but at least it means that you should be offered the chance to switch at the end of the contract, rather than them just upping the cost automatically.

Just an idle thought about this - I wonder if they require the solar to be an MCS installation? Or if they'd accept some evidence it meets the requirements of MCS

I don't see it mentioned as a requirement on the website, only thing it says is you "have solar". And while MCS is a requirement for the smart export gaurantee, this isn't really that