PRA & CEMP Required

Ceefer

Hi,

We have full planing with a number of conditions. 

Before we start it states:

No development (other than demolition and site clearance works) shall take place until the steps in Sections A and B below are undertaken:

A: CHARACTERISATION: With specific consideration to human health, controlled waters and wider environmental factors, the following documents must be provided (as necessary) to
characterise the site in terms of potential risk to sensitive receptors:
• Preliminary Risk Assessment (PRA or Desk Study)
• Generic Quantitative Risk Assessment (GQRA) informed by a Intrusive Site Investigation
• Detailed Quantitative Risk Assessment (DQRA)
• Remedial Options Appraisal
Completing a PRA is the minimum requirement. DQRA should only to be submitted if GQRA
findings require it.

B: SUBMISSION OF A REMEDIATION & VERIFICATION STRATEGY: As determined by the findingsof Section A above, a remediation strategy (if required) and verification (validation) strategy shall submitted in writing to and agreed with the LPA. This strategy shall ensure the site is suitable for the intended use and mitigate risks to identified receptors. This strategy should be derived from a Remedial Options Appraisal and must detail the proposed remediation measures/objectives and how proposed remedial measures will be verified.
The actions required in Sections A and B shall adhere to the following guidance: CLR11 (Environment Agency/DEFRA, 2004); BS10175 (British Standards Institution, 2011); C665
(CIRIA, 2007).
Reason: To mitigate risks posed by land contamination to human health, controlled water and wider environmental receptors on the site (and in the vicinity) during development works and after completion. In accordance with: Policy QE6 of the Adopted Local Plan Core Strategy (July 2014); Paragraph 121 of the National Planning Policy Framework (March 2012), and Section 4 of the Environmental Protection Supplementary Planning Document (May 2013).

Prior to any construction, demolition, exploratory, temporary or enabling works, a Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP) shall be submitted to and approve in
writing by the Local Planning Authority. The Plan as approved shall be adhered to throughout the design, construction and demolition period. The CEMP shall review all works proposed on site and shall cover as a minimum the following areas on a phase by phase basis identifying appropriate mitigation measures as necessary:
+ Proposed locations of site compound and storage areas including staff and contractor parking;
+ Proposed delivery hours and supervision, scheduling, waiting and phasing;
+ Erection and maintenance of security hoarding including decorative displays; and
+ Highway cleaning and wheel washing facilities.

So we need a PRA and a CEMP?

Has anyone done this and are there any templates that anyone could share to get us started? 

Thanks,

Rick

I've done quite a few through work, though unfortunately can't pass them on. A CEMP seems a bit overkill for a domestic self build, so I'd want to ensure they really meant to do this and it isn't just a cut and paste accident?

If you're using a contractor, then the CEMP really needs their input, as they'll be bound by what's written in it.

Otherwise, just stick to what they've asked for. I'd advice committing yourself to the bare minimum required and to make sure you understand the financial implications of what's written, as you can be held to it.

CIRIA can be useful for guidance in relation to CEMPs. It doesn't need to be a big document.

• Like 1

We where required to provide a cemp, we thought it was fairly easy to put together so looked stuff up from the internet, it ended up looking very professional and everything in it we thought was needed. 

The council refused it as we had no relevant qualifications 

so we went back to our ecology company who charged us £1200 to produce one, it turned out to be a cut and past document where he missed some very important parts and added bits not relevant to our site, so it was obvious he had cut and pasted and not compiled it properly. 

The council accepted it immediately. 

Just pay get it signed off and move on. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/02/2020 at 07:11, Russell griffiths said:

We where required to provide a cemp, we thought it was fairly easy to put together so looked stuff up from the internet, it ended up looking very professional and everything in it we thought was needed. 

The council refused it as we had no relevant qualifications 

so we went back to our ecology company who charged us £1200 to produce one, it turned out to be a cut and past document where he missed some very important parts and added bits not relevant to our site, so it was obvious he had cut and pasted and not compiled it properly. 

The council accepted it immediately. 

Just pay get it signed off and move on. 

Thanks for the info all. 

Russell don't suppose you can share the source of the one you did yourself please?

Many thanks,

Rick

2 hours ago, Ceefer said:

Thanks for the info all. 

Russell don't suppose you can share the source of the one you did yourself please?

Many thanks,

Rick

I just googled it and found lots of cemps for big developments, so we downloaded them and cut and pasted any bits relevant to our site. 

We then printed it and bound it with lots of pictures of the site, the council refused it. 

I reckon if I had of forged a companies logo and name they would have never known. 

Another £1200 I will never get back. 

• 1 year later...
On 26/02/2020 at 12:31, Ceefer said:

Tha's great, thanks! 

I have a friend who will put it on his letterhead, so i'll give it a try!

Thank you.

What was the outcome of your DIY CEMP ?  I have just had a requirement of an approved CEMP before work can start.  Crazy for a diy self build.  there are 6 individual plots all applied for planning permission within weeks of each other,  two have the requirement for a CEMP, four do not.

• 2 months later...