When can I remove my security fence?

readiescards

My property is almost water tight (roof on, windows and doors fitted) just waiting for garage to get to same state and my ****** builder has decided he wants to charge monthly for the security fencing (a very different topic)

Question, when can I (legally) remove the security fencing:

* once dwelling is water tight and secure?

* once drive way installed?

* once landscaping done?

* once garden border bushes planted and garden fence in place? 

* once I live in the property?

* once the roses are in bloom? 

I would say when there are no hazards, e.g no scaffold to climb on, no holes in the ground to fall into etc.

Mine is not fenced in. Most people keep asking when are we moving in, it looks that complete from the outside.

• Like 1

Just make sure that the fencing is only security fencing too - if its been put up to protect trees (or Root Protection Areas) then it has to remain in place until completion.

How much does he want btw..?? Going rate is £2-2.50 per panel inc feet etc here per week, so £8-10 per month. Bear in mind you can buy it for £20 or so per panel you may be better off telling him to take his out and then buy your own to fence in a smaller area if needed and sell at the end.

• Like 1

BTW, the issue isn't one of legality, its one of satisfying your insurers (or the LPA in the case of TPAs) that you have adequately secured the site whilst the build is in progress.  My suggestion would bew to keep the site secured until the build is complete -- but there is nothing to stop you putting up your permanent perimeter fence. and removing panels covered by it.

• Like 1

We removed the majority of our site fencing once the scaff came down and we had a front door on the house - i,e. it was secure but mostly because it kept banging in the wind and blowing over last winter.

We still have a few scabby heras panels blocking a gap in the hedge, to be honest the neighbours have been asking us when they're going as its a bit of an eyesore. 

Back to your builder, was there any agreement on this in the original contract (guessing not)? 

• Like 1

A success related issue.... excellent!

Are you living in your property? Paying Community charge yet? The answer to those questions would figure large in my calculation.

HERAS can be bought for about £15:00 a panel; one foot and one link plus panel about £20.  I'm sure you can do the maths.

23 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Back to your builder, was there any agreement on this in the original contract (guessing not)? 

All a bit vague but under this proposed new arrangement I'm effectively rewarding the builder for having committed very few man days to the project in the early summer - so am very annoyed by it and have yet to fully respond.

Is the fencing his or is he renting it?  If it's his, then I'd have thought it's his responsibility.

Even if it's on hire, as you say, he should have been cracking on with the job.  Not surprised you're annoyed, either way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got it sorted building keeping them there at his cost until structural work on garage done. Then will be removed.

Interestingly the H&S consultant I had out the other day to review my CDM said the most of the fencing could be removed just leaving a little bit at the site entrance to put h&s signs on!

I also checked with insurers and now house is water tight and lockable they are also OK with fence going.

So all OK. Thanks Buildhub for helpful suggestions while the issue for sorted.