Whether to put in electric ufh in the bathrooms?

Pete

We have wet UFH (in the bathrooms) in a Passive house and wonder whether I need electric UFH in the two downstairs bathrooms? Reason being we will probably do the chunk of the wet UFH in the night if we go down the Willis heater route so there will be no form of drying the floor when we shower although I have no experience of how the slab will work when we eventually get in!!  The showers are wet room type and measure 1.9m x 0.9m with a glass screen measuring 1.3m wide and 2.0m high but I fear we will have water getting outside the wet zone and do I need to be thinking of drying it by some other means? We obviously have MVHR so not so sure how effective this will be at drying out the rooms but do people think it is worth putting an electric mat in place? TIA

In a passive house you will never want to heat the bathroom floor hot enough to dry it out as it will be like being in a sauna. We put in electric under floor in all the bathrooms in our passive house as we thought there may be a chill on the tiles but in 2 years I have never wanted to turn it on. You will only want to run your wet ufh 23-25 degree surface temp range.

• Like 1

For drying I have a sponge mop in the bathroom, or put down a towel or bathmat outside the entrance that can be stood on to dry. Do not leave it down if you have ufh esp. electric ufh as it can cause that bit to run hotter.

OTOH electric ufh is cheap so you could whack some in for a few hundred, just in case you want it on for an hour in the morning for heated tootsies.

Personally I suspect that unless they are open at the end you will  be absolutely fine unless 2 heffelumps have a water fight in there. That is quite a bit bigger than my screens. But I do not do water fights.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Our house is near passive and I put electric UFH in our ensuite under vinyl tiles and it’s great, with timer it’s on fir the morning shower and evening use, just an hour each time.

What wattage ufh did you use and what make? TIA

We have electric UFH in our upstairs bathrooms. No other heating upstairs. It keeps those rooms at a very pleasant temp. And the tiles warm underfoot. Suspect we’ll turn it off all summer though.

we used Prowarm 150w on our sparky’s advice. With 6mm insulation board under it.

Edited by Weebles
Add details of product

We have wet UFH on the ground floor Three bathrooms on the first floor With 2ntr high stainless radiators No heating under the tiles We have never had the heating on in there As someone pointed out above it would be like a sauna 

We are nit Passive Just a very well insulate warm house