Replacing Fibre Glass Insulation in Attic - Soffit Vent Detail

mike2016

I'm pulling out old Fibre Glass insulation in the Attic and replacing it with Cellulose. See picture below, I plan 100mm Cellulose covered by 200mm Earthwool over it.

I've a question around the top of the picture below - the dip for the soffit at the green line. I bought some Glidevale Rv655 panels which ensure a path for the vent air at the soffit to enter the attic. I also have some additional spacers in between the felt overlaps mid way up the roof (6 in total).  

I'd like to have a continuous cellulose insulation layer right out to the dip beyond the green line which is the soffit but it's very hard to reach and I think the cellulose might block the vent / path even with the glidevale protection - I just can't position it effectively out that far. 

The alternative is to buy loads more Glidevales to stop the insulation at the green line where it's possible to reach, all the way along the roof line between each rafter. 

I'm only concerned about blocking that soffit vent, even though cellulose can breathe will cause me problems down the road. What the best approach? 

I hope to do external insulation next year to meet this cellulose from below on the outside wall but am struggling a bit at this junction due to the low pitch of the roof @ 28 degrees

Thanks. 

Loft.jpg

Edited by mike2016

Personally I would just leave the existing fibreglass, saves the awful job of removing and disposing of it, and just top up with earthwool on top of it.  Stop the new top layer just short of the eaves for the reasons mentioned.

Just one of those hair-brained ideas I got last month. I've 23 bags of the stuff so I've the awful job of disposing of the old fibreglass! Had it nicely topped up with earthwool and now I'm taking it all up again to swap it out. I really feel like kicking myself now I even thought of it...!! Back to the drawing board so....