Costs comparison

Euan

Morning all, 

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on ways to compare the quotes associated with a new build. For background this isn't my proposed extension, it's a friend at work who will demolish a bungalow and replace with a one and a half storey house with detached garage. 

At the moment he hasn't chosen a build system, so he's gone out for quotes based on his plans to a few ICF suppliers along with a few timber frame suppliers, possibly other also. The quotes as they come back seem almost deliberately difficult to compare. For example the Durisol quote is about 4 lines long, while one of the timber frame is 35 pages of supply only and 37 for putting it all up. 

I know estimators online could be used for a base case quote for comparison, but as far as I can see its for a single build system at a time. 

So, does anyone have any tips for a cost comparison across build types? Even decanting into a spreadsheet is difficult as the quotes aren't itemised.

And has anyone used the build cost clinic at the BuildIt shows? I think they use HBXL. 

Euan 

Check what will be the u value of all the different aspects, floors walls and roof and also Windows and doors of these are included. Then compare and rank them in order.

Are any giving you a air test value that they will aim to achieve??

Go through each and every quote and see if there are certain things one company is including as standard and others are leaving out but can include for extra costs.

It will take a few hours but when you get finished then you will have a better idea of where you stand with each quote and what exactly you will get and more importantly what you won't get and be expected to do yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Euan said:

[...]

For example the Durisol quote is about 4 lines long, while one of the timber frame is 35 pages

[...]

Comparing quotes is always a nightmare. Comparing costs across systems is a complex nightmare. 

In the end we chose to work out a cost per square meter - given that the companies who were asked to quote agree that the target U value would be achievable.

• Like 1

Gents, thanks that's useful. I had thought it was complex enough just comparing the base quotes and hadn't thought yet about factoring in the U values. Square metre cost would bring everything back to a common value, again, very useful, thank you.

23 hours ago, Euan said:

Morning all, 

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on ways to compare the quotes associated with a new build. For background this isn't my proposed extension, it's a friend at work who will demolish a bungalow and replace with a one and a half storey house with detached garage. 

At the moment he hasn't chosen a build system, so he's gone out for quotes based on his plans to a few ICF suppliers along with a few timber frame suppliers, possibly other also. The quotes as they come back seem almost deliberately difficult to compare. For example the Durisol quote is about 4 lines long, while one of the timber frame is 35 pages of supply only and 37 for putting it all up. 

I know estimators online could be used for a base case quote for comparison, but as far as I can see its for a single build system at a time. 

So, does anyone have any tips for a cost comparison across build types? Even decanting into a spreadsheet is difficult as the quotes aren't itemised.

And has anyone used the build cost clinic at the BuildIt shows? I think they use HBXL. 

Euan 

The golden rule when buying anything is that you shouldn't buy solely on price.There are many other factors to consider.  See the people, references and other projects, etc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

The golden rule when buying anything is that you shouldn't buy solely on price.There are many other factors to consider.  See the people, references and other projects, etc

I agree it's not solely on price, but affordability and value for money are important considerations. For example one timber frame company quoted £90k for supply and erect, and another quoted £150k. He can't tell if the second company is just that much better or if they are pushing their luck, hence trying to get to a common denominator. £/sq. m. will help with that then he can bring in other factors just as quality, locality, reputation, gut feel etc