Electric boiler confusion, and EV charging.

AliG

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Really comes down to the spin speed and radius of the drum.

https://www.engineersedge.com/physics/centrifugal_force.htm

If the clothes are still wet when they come out form the dryer/washer you have a bad model. We have separate washer dryer and after the spin our clothes are only damp. I hand my stuff on the door and they are dry in a few hours. Even the towels I've dried off in the bath throw it over the shower cubicle. Our washer is a LG I would rec those to anyone, works with hot or cold water.

In this house I might try a little experiment by feeding it was a solar heated pipe system on the roof above the washing machine. Then again I also want to look at rain water collection so might wash with filtered rain water one day ?

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

It is a washer dryer. I think it just tricked water through a small heat exchanger.

That seems to be how our LG condensing washer/drier works.  TBH, everything dries so quickly on the drying rack thing that we never use the drier function.  We've got used to not having fluffy towels, and I prefer the feel of air dried towels, anyway.

• 8 months later...

Adding this info here in case anyone on a 2 meter system with Scottish Power or SSE with huge bills reads this. 

I have just moved my 2 meter system across to EDF. No changes to the meters or wiring are required. 

My heating tariff is 11.49p KWh 

and the other meter is 12.59p kWh (that’s based on an EV tariff)
Standing charge is 28.14p

The guy confirmed that they’ve been swapping people from SSE in their droves who have these meter set ups, in particular from the Shetland Islands. He was able to tell me that in the north of Scotland the rate is 11.51p kWh for the heating meter and that the rate for the standard meter would be dependent on what your requirements are (eg I have a PHEV to get the EV rate). 

You need to call their complex metering team on 0333 009 6980 to get a quote. I look to save quite a lot over the current Scottish Power tariff. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@newhome you just need a BFO ASHP now and that will halve the heating bill too !!

Too much dosh needed for the outlay and that's if I can even find someone to fit one (rare as hens' teeth round here). God knows why more people don't become MCS registered as there's gold in them hills and whilst the paperwork is clearly a pain it seems to result in £££ quotes. Only managed to get one quote here and that was with nearly a dozen enquiries. It was 14.5k which is way more than I wanted to spend.