Ferdinand Returns....

Ferdinand

Checking in again. Well done all.

Delighted that it seems well enough organised that there is no need for me to stick any oars in; vodka and holidays beckon.

A few questions and notes:

1 - The organisation seems set up exactly as other long lasting online associations I am inviolved ni have been set up. Good.

2 - Is there an account somewhere of what actually happened to Ebuild; I would like some more understanding and here should eb looking forward. PMs are fine.

3 - I'll copy across my various pinned articles, where I had written them as subject references, and the blog.

4 - Has the potential IP issue on "BuildHub" been dealt with vs the other self-build portal called "The Build Hub"? We wouldn't want to lose the domain in 2 years time.

5 - A simplification of the topic hierarchy would have been useful, but not getting involved I naturally had no say (!), and perhaps there are more routes to find content on the new new platform?

6 - Could a high-up recreate my "God is in the Details" blog, please?

Cheers

Ferdinand

Welcome Ferdinand, nice to see you've found us all.  We put a heck of a lot of effort into trying to set this up to be a long-lasting and secure forum, and there is a brief history of how it came about here:

It is currently run by a properly formed association of members, 14 people in all, with a committee of five.  We have a formal constitution, records of key discussions and decisions (hosting, software, domain choice, etc) and elected officers in accordance with the normal rules for an association of members.  The Forum Foundation Group is the formal title of that association and it only had the aim of collecting funds, setting up the new forum and then three months from that date will form a new permanent management body to run the forum, on the principle that it is a non-profit making (but clearly not non-income generating) community operated enterprise.  The Forum Foundation Group will transfer management responsibility to the new managing entity and then will be dissolved, with any excess funds passing to the new management entity.

You may have noticed that the forum is running on a fairly high-end commercial software package and is hosted with significant capacity to spare.  The aim was to ensure that it was established with a robust foundation that wouldn't need changing in the short to medium term if traffic levels were to grow (and I have a feeling that they might!).

The correct title of this forum is "BuildHub.org.uk", to distinguish it from the dormant website that refers to itself as "The Buildhub".  The advice we have is that this is adequate protection, and was the mechanism used by another very-well known open source site and product to distinguish itself from another with an almost identical name.