Carpenter here, just bought a 250yr old listed cottage

Dpirie76

Hello, all.
As the title suggests, my partner and I have just (2 years ago) bought, and moved into a lovely Suffolk thatched cottage.
The first 2 years we have spent transforming the double garage / barn into a workshop for my partner who is a leather worker.
Now we turn our attention to the cottage.
We have plans for it, and plenty needs doing, but, even as a working chippy, somethings are out of my reach.
Will mostly be asking you for advice on things like insulating cold walls, rendering and other topics for renovation purposes.
Thanks for having me,

Dan

Well, I was in Suffolk until we came over to Wales three years ago. Denston then Preston St Mary. Suffolk cottages are lovely things; at 6ft 3 though I was always very annoyed with estate agents who did not put heights on the dimensions of room details - we wasted a lot of time going to look at cottages which I'd have to stoop in all the time!

Don't you just know it.  We've only been here 2 years and both my missus and I (both tall) now involuntarily duck going through doors in our mates houses.  New, tall houses.
You can take the man out of the cottage but you can't take the cottage out of the man.

Welcome to THE building forum, remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking!!! There is a plethora of knowledge here, read (ask) and enjoy the journey (we’ve all been there).

23 hours ago, joe90 said:

Welcome to THE building forum, remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking!!! There is a plethora of knowledge here, read (ask) and enjoy the journey (we’ve all been there).

I’m probably in contention for some of the more stupid, elementary questions on Build Hub... but it’s fab to get experience, solid advice.

• Like 1