Smoke/heat alarm for large kitchen?

I am getting to the end of an extension to create a 'family room' - an open-plan kitchen/diner/lounge and am wondering what best to do about smoke/heat alarms.... Given the risk of false alarms I understand that a heat alarm is most appropriate for a kitchen however do they still perform adequately in a large room (9m x 5m)? There will be a defined kitchen area and so I was going to locate it there - perhaps above / to the side of the hob+oven?

Or should I be looking at something else? (Maybe some sort of best-of-both-worlds combined affair that I might not be aware of?)

The rest of the house used interlinked Aico alarms and so they would be my starting point, and perhaps finishing point too if alarms from different manufacturers cannot be mixed.

Edited by MJNewton

We have a heat alarm in a kitchen diner 12 mtrs by 6 It’s situated about 4 mtrs from the hob 

Heat detectors don’t tend to give false alarms

My electrician friend said if a smoke goes off open a window 

If a heat alarm goes off Run like F***

Whilst I'm no expert on the common causes of fire it wouldn't surprise me if the biggest risk in a (our) family room might be from faulty electrical equipment (AV kit, chargers etc) and perhaps candles rather than situations that heat alarms are aimed towards (eg chip pan fires?).

You don't want a smoke alarm in a kitchen otherwise it will go off if the toast gets a bit well done.

We used Aico for all the house alarms, and Aico do a neat combined Heat and CO alarm combined in one package which we need due to the gas hob and WBS in the same room.

10 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Whilst I'm no expert on the common causes of fire it wouldn't surprise me if the biggest risk in a (our) family room might be from faulty electrical equipment (AV kit, chargers etc) and perhaps candles rather than situations that heat alarms are aimed towards (eg chip pan fires?).

That may be true, but you still need to reckon with cooking.

in extremis, you could fit one of those mist systems in just that area. 

I always fit multi sensors in plant rooms / attic spaces where anything electrical or electronic is present.
I also always fit at least one ‘hush / test / find me’ switch in a strategic position(s)  which allow the detector that has been triggered to be found quickly.
The find me function silences every other detector.

The test button and hush button repeat the function buttons on the front of the detectors, which is almost a critical requirement in a house with very high / vaulted ceilings.