Anybody willing to offer any advice.

Big Jimbo

There will be a period of time when me and the Mrs will have to camp out in "My Posh Shed" The house during extension will be uninhabitable. I have no idea if this will be during the Summer, Or the Winter. You know how these things can drag on....

The shed has a floor area of 21.78sq meters. A volume of 47.91 cubic Meters. It has 4 windows, and a set of glazed french doors which will all be UPVC double glazed totalling 10sq meters. Two of the windows will face west, and the other Two windows and french doors will face North. The floor is suspended timber at 600mm centres with 100mm Pir inbetween. The walls are timber at 600mm centres with 100mm PIR inbetween. The roof is timber at 600mm centres with 100mm PIR inbetween, and 50mm PIR over the joists.

I am hoping that i will be able to heat this space when i am living in it with something like a simple wall mounted panel Heater, with perhaps a timer. Am i dreaming ? I just don't want to be freezing.

Secondly, i will be fitting, a toilet, an electric shower, and a tiny hand basin in an stud walled off area of about 2.4 x .8 meters. Do you think i would need some sort of heat sorce in this area (The door will be left open to this area when not in use) In the main area i will have an electric combi oven, microwave. a 2 ring induction hob, and a smallish washing up sink. I thought i would supply the hot water for the bathroom and washing up sink from a small undercounter instantanious water heater.

Now, i was thinking of putting something like the Vent axia HVMR in the main area, so as to avoid the build up of carbon monoxide when i am asleep. I am hoping that this would take care of any cooking smells, steam etc from the bathroom. Do you think this would do the job ? I could fit a separate extractor in the bathroom area, and another above the hob, but i hate extracting my nice heated air out of my building. You will guess by now that i hate being cold. Do you think these should be fitted ?

Any of your thoughts would be gratefully received.

Hard to answer until you know when.  If it's summer, staying cool might be your problem.

Your shed is insulated to near passive house standards compared to the 1" thick walls of the static caravan we survived in 2 winters ago. (I will never forget the beast from the east)  which we kept warm with a 5kW wood burning stove running most of the time and electric heaters.

As this is a one off, is it really worth the time and expense kitting it out with all the showers and stuff?  A cheap second hand touring caravan will give you all that and treat the shed as a space to stretch out and relax as well as storing stuff?

• Thanks 1

I would suggest have a good friend or two in reserve willing to put you up for a night or two at short notice, either apart or together ... just as an occasional safety valve for when you need a break.

At some point you will just want to do that.

220sqft is quite small.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Hard to answer until you know when.  If it's summer, staying cool might be your problem.

Your shed is insulated to near passive house standards compared to the 1" thick walls of the static caravan we survived in 2 winters ago. (I will never forget the beast from the east)  which we kept warm with a 5kW wood burning stove running most of the time and electric heaters.

As this is a one off, is it really worth the time and expense kitting it out with all the showers and stuff?  A cheap second hand touring caravan will give you all that and treat the shed as a space to stretch out and relax as well as storing stuff?

The shower and toilet is so that when the house is finished it can be used, as either a gym, of an office. Teenage kids hang out space etc. The kicthen bit will be easily removed when no longer required. Did'nt fancy a static because they are so cold. I had no idea that my insulating standards were so good.

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I would suggest have a good friend or two in reserve willing to put you up for a night or two at short notice, either apart or together ... just as an occasional safety valve for when you need a break.

At some point you will just want to do that.

Ferdinand

Yeah thanks Ferd. I've got a daughter about 20mins drive away, and fortunately we will always be welcome there. I want to remain on site, so i can work longer, and to try and prevent any thefts etc.

The airtightness is key, I think. The trouble with small volumes is that it doesn't take much of a leak to get a high air-change rate: area proportional to L², volume to L³, etc.

Personally, I'd prefer to avoid all combustion in that size space [¹] though I was glad of LPG for hot water and cooking when I was staying in a static caravan during a 36-hour power cut at a time of high winds and sleet showers.

[¹] In any size space, really, but particularly a small one.

• Like 1

You’re dead right about lack of insulation in a static, I spent most of two winters in mine ?. With a Couple of fan heaters I think you will be fine. Good idea about the vent axis MVHR and a daughter not far away?. Get a good duvet and electric blanket, it saved the day for me.

• Like 1

Why not put a small section of electric ufh in shower room and a heated towel rail, nothing worse than a damp towel or a cold floor when getting out of the shower. 

The rest can be added if needed as long as you install extra power points, an oil filled rad on a timer should keep it warm enough. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Run it through @Jeremy Harrisheat loss spreadsheet.

Or get someone else to.

I would love to, but i can only just post on here. At school we didn't have a single computer, and (my own fault) i just never got into them when they came out. Wish i had now, but i have always prefered actual tools, and hand stuff.

• Like 1