What accidents have you had while DIY'ing?!!

I think one of the most painful things I suffered during our build was getting bitten by a snake when shifting stuff in the overgrown area that is now our garden.  I took this 'photo a few minutes after it had bitten me (through a glove) and before the finger started to swell up : 

1174697280_Snakebite.thumb.JPG.5e5264285a4c394467e768a2af1271d1.JPG

The nurse who treated it later that day thought that it was probably the fact that I was wearing gloves that saved the bite being worse.  It was still as painful as hell for a day or so, though.  No gory 'photos of the finger when it was swollen, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I think one of the most painful things I suffered during our build was getting bitten by a snake when shifting stuff in the overgrown area that is now our garden.  I took this 'photo a few minutes after it had bitten me (through a glove) and before the finger started to swell up : 

1174697280_Snakebite.thumb.JPG.5e5264285a4c394467e768a2af1271d1.JPG

The nurse who treated it later that day thought that it was probably the fact that I was wearing gloves that saved the bite being worse.  It was still as painful as hell for a day or so, though.  No gory 'photos of the finger when it was swollen, I'm afraid.

What type of snake was it?

54 minutes ago, MaryM said:

@AnonymousBosch I reckon you can be very clear minded about having a death wish! 

I don't read most of the threads because I don't understand what they are about, this one looked fairly understandable -  GAAAAHHHHH!

Limit yourself to my threads and you will be fine.

Completely banjaxed in the brain,  but fine.

?

(Why do you think the rest of understand it?)

Edited by Ferdinand

39 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

What type of snake was it?

As @Ferdinand says, one with at least two sharp teeth!

The general consensus was that it was probably an adder, as grass snakes don't usually bite.  The inflammation that followed also tended towards that view, in that the adder is our only venomous snake, and the inflammation seemed to proceed very quickly.  That photo was taken within a few minutes of the bite, and the puncture marks are already showing early signs of inflammation.  Within a couple of hours the finger was the size of a small banana, and pretty painful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

L(Why do you think the rest of understand it?)

@Ferdinandbecause you clever people actually BUILD things, even if you cut off bits of yourself and get attacked by venomous reptiles in doing so

I just get hijacked by builders who charge me megabucks to trash my garage

(although I did once sew through my finger with a sewing machine ...)

stick to gardening, then you can shove a fork through your foot, cut off your fingers with secateurs, poke your eye out with a garden cane, electrocute yourself cutting the mower cable ...

?

• 4 weeks later...

Goodness, this building/renovating game can be dangerous.

I do make myself read these kind of threads, not because I like gory stuff, but because it reminds me to be extra careful next time I'm doing some work.

Accidents can still happen even with the best of care, but people I know say they usually get accidents when they either a) get complacent about safety b) work when they are too tired.

Stay safe everyone!! 

I usually go to work and play with equipment that emits non-ionising radiation into the atmosphere. It seems it is a lot safer than building and renovating houses.

I'm not allowed to have sharp objects like chisels to drop on my hand only to be stopped by the bones in my thumb.

Neither am I allowed to walk on floor joists while soldering new pipes together only to fall half way through the ceiling. The bruise on my leg was about 2 feet long the next day.

Both of the above were from trying to finish some work on the house far too late in the eveing. I don't do this any more.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, canalsiderenovation said:

This was when it had nearly healed but I was digging and dug into my foot. I have a scar now that looks like a Nike logo on my foot.

I did a bit of an 'ow', carried on digging and came in and noticed my trainer all bloodied. OH nearly fainted when I took off said trainer and blood everywhere. 

Screenshot_20200316-204337.png

A bit like a motorcycle accident. DO NOT remove his helmet.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

A bit like a motorcycle accident. DO NOT remove his helmet.

It looked worse than it was, just had to have tetanus and those sticky strip things.

I don't know if you could count a DIY accident as cutting the packaging of some samples open of LVT flooring with some scissors and cutting into the side of my thumb. I needed stiches... 

I've got mostly minor DIY scars. Worst was when I fell off a ladder. I landed on a wood floor and was lying there unscathed, happy I had missed my tool box and thinking I'd had a lucky escape... when the ladder fell on me. 

• Haha 2