PIR- water resistant?

zoothorn

Reason I ask, is I drive past a stack of ~70mm PIR sheets left outside/ abandoned probably 6 yrs min at a guess. could it be used I wonder even trimming the obviously weathered edges off? obviously I can't just nab it & find out (I guess weight would simply tell you if water trapped within).. it is on s'one's property.

I can't think its made like a sponge, if its got to contain heat/ Id have though it be 1000's of tiny bubbles.. ie sealed. My builder's used some scrappy offcuts on my knock-through door (old stone cottage/ alot of pesky bits to fill) prety sure these been outside in elements.

Any ideas? cheers zoot.

It's what they call 'closed-cell' , which means that all the little bubbles are isolated from each other. That means it doesn't absorb water to any significant degree. I think there's a standard immersion test, where they hold a sample of the stuff under water for a period of time, and it has to absorb only a small fraction of its volume - something like 2% after a month's continuous immersion.

There may, however be an issue with UV light, as that does cause it to go a little crumbly.

18 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ah thanks @Stewpot hadn't thought of its crumblyness. That might mean terrible cutting numnums.

If it's the foil lined stuff, it'll probably only be the edges that are affected - you should be able to trim it off, but then you'll end up with slightly undersized panels. Though that may not be a problem to you.

25 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

If it's the foil lined stuff, it'll probably only be the edges that are affected - you should be able to trim it off, but then you'll end up with slightly undersized panels. Though that may not be a problem to you.

Well this is what I was thinking. Yes its celotex I think, about 12  eight x four sheets stacked neatly in a pile. I'm gonna have to cut 8'x4' up anyway into 3 maybe 4 long strips (to insulate timber frame walls, studs ~400mm centres). If I could establish for definite only the edges might be n/g, & buy this lot off the hick.. I might well be able to save £500 who knows.

• 11 months later...
On 12/01/2021 at 13:55, Seeoda said:

Some allege that it soaks water and reduces its effectiveness and hence should not be used as floor insulation.

PIR insulation should be above the DPM anyway.

Only time it's a concern in the floor is during concrete curing - wise to tape or stick some polythene over the top to protect the insulation for the ~24 hours of initial cure time.