Brick cleaning, when it is optimum time post laying?

epsilonGreedy

A pro brickie team will no doubt leave a few mortar splashes on my blue/grey engineering bricks as they work at speed.

If I undertake to clean up the brick faces later with some brick cleaning acid plus seriously long rubber gauntlets, how long should I wait?

I assume anything less than 6 hours in the current cold weather could make things worse by smearing still unset mortar? My hunch would be 24 to 48 hours after the bricks are laid and that 2 weeks would be far too long.

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A pro brickie team will no doubt leave a few mortar splashes on my blue/grey engineering bricks as they work at speed.

If I undertake to clean up the brick faces later with some brick cleaning acid plus seriously long rubber gauntlets, how long should I wait?

I assume anything less than 6 hours in the current cold weather could make things worse by smearing still unset mortar? My hunch would be 24 to 48 hours after the bricks are laid and that 2 weeks would be far too long.

a pro brickie team should be cleaning it up as they go 

thats why you employ pros

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

a pro brickie team should be cleaning it up as they go 

thats why you employ pros

Fussy amateurs strive for better than pro!

When I look at examples of laid blues I often think, "I hope my house will be better than that".

I have been drying the bricks systematically over the past two weeks as I am told will help the brickies deliver a better finish.

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Get them coated with boiled linseed oil to start with and you can just wash the snots off

I have considered this and followed @Brickie's comments in a thread on that subject however it just sounds like a proposal at the moment.

The other concern I have is that references to Lineseed mention it being used as a type of varnish. I don't want to amplify the visual intensity of my engineering bricks with a long term varnish type finish, is the boiled linseed usually washed off at the end of a build?

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Fussy amateurs strive for better than pro!

When I look at examples of laid blues I often think, "I hope my house will be better than that".

I have been drying the bricks systematically over the past two weeks as I am told will help the brickies deliver a better finish.

Dry bricks aren't good for brickies, when my dad was still working, he used to drop the bricks in a bucket of water for a few seconds before he laid them

I’m not a Brickie but I built up to slab propitious to getting block layers in 
It was November cold and wet 

So wet I had to point up the following mornings 

I simply used a sponge to clean any excess With the intention of cleaning with acid once the house was built 

8945C9FE-13E4-44DD-ABB4-C32388BD2892.jpeg

7 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Dry bricks aren't good for brickies, when my dad was still working, he used to drop the bricks in a bucket of water for a few seconds before he laid them

This is a summer concern when bone dry absorbent bricks or blocks suck water out of the mortar too quickly before the brickie can level up a run of just laid bricks.

My case is different, (1) engineering brick do not suck up water so much by design, (2) a this time of year bricks are unlikely to be bone dry and (3) wet engineering brick faces are prone mortar smears which are highlighted by the dark face.

Acid works months after and will get it off engineering bricks no problem. Just need a stiff brush and a plant sprayer, make sure the bricks get a proper soaking before you use the acid. Wet the bricks, spray on acid, wait 5, scrub and rinse. Stubborn bits may need another spray. 

• Like 1