Selfbuild plus renovation

Davein63

Hi 

Story so far.... Due to the high cost of housing in my area, I decided to try and help my eldest son to buy his first property. Despite having saved hard for a few years and managing to accumulate a six figure sum  it was still not enough (even with max mortgage) to get on the property ladder to buy a suitable property. Instead of giving him a lump sum, I ended up obtaining pp for a  new build dormer 'in the garden' of our 1940s bungalow.  This requires part of the existing bungalow to be demolished and remodelling of the remaining structure for rooms to be built in the loft area.

I had previously build  large side  and rear extensions meaning that the majority of the original bungalow (solid double skin construction) will now be demolished and the resulting building will  all be of cavity wall construction.

Having spent a small fortune on obtaining pp unfortunately due to major changes in personal circumstances my son has now all but pulled out or the project leaving me to either take a hit on the costs so far (I have already purchased some materials) or go ahead by myself with the builds. Having spent much time mulling over the options I have decided to carry on regardless and proceed with the projects.  I am fortunate in that I have just retired so have the time to commit and a reasonable amount in savings. I have been involved in many aspects of building most of my working life so not a complete novice. 

I look forward to receiving any help you can give with the many problems and queries I will no doubt experience.