Rough cost of a 150m2 dormer bungalow in York

Falesh

We're planning on building a dormer bungalow with the first story as shown in the attachment and then a bathroom and two bedrooms upstairs. Ideally it would be build to the passive house standard, but if costs are too high we can drop that. We can also reduce the number of windows based on price. Does anyone have any ideas of the cost of such a project, excluding land value, when using a main contractor in York?

Cheers!

plan.jpg

As said £1500-2000/m2 is a good rule of thumb, depends a lot on the specs.

There is an enormous percentage of glass there, it would be very hard to be passive due to this and expensive to build.

Is this just a design that you have knocked up yourself. It is somewhat unusual. The stairs next to the window may be problematic depending on what is above them and the shape of the upstairs roof.

Where is the front door? It looks like a kitchen/lounge with two bedrooms off it. Is that the front door into the kitchen next to the stairs? Do you then have two bedrooms right off the kitchen without a hall? Why do they also have doors to the outside? I think it would not meet regs for an accessible bathroom as they cannot be off bedrooms, at least in Scotland. There are no cupboards or storage, where would the boiler go, it is easiest to fit on an outside wall. The windows go very close to the corners of the building which will be awkward.

Sorry to be negative, but this house would be almost impossible to sell and very strange to live in.

I should have said that the plan is not by any means final, especially the windows, it is just something we have made in Live Home 3D and is shown mainly for the room size and rough shape.

The general layout is for a specific reason though. I have ME and sleep lightly til the early afternoon. So I need ground floor accommodation that can be sound proofed from the living area. The other bedroom is for my father who also wants a somewhat separated ground floor living area so we can both have our own guests. The bedrooms have outside doors so my father can have seperate access and so I can get into the garden, and let the dog out, with the minimum of walking (I spend the vast majority of my time in my bedroom).

As it happens our current house has a very similar layout, both ground floor bedrooms are pretty much the same, including the external doors, and it works perfectly for us. The reason we wish to build a new house is that our current one is also way too big, with too many extra bedrooms including a 3rd story loft conversion. We wish to downsize while retaining the layout that has worked so well for us.

Thanks @Falesh that puts it into context.

I can understand better now why you went for this layout.

A lot depends on whether you want to build a house just for your own use or consider that you may have to sell it one day. If it suits you, you are more than entitled to ignore selling it and build just what you would like.

You have enough space there in the basic shell to be flexible.

Things I would consider -

1. Storage space, maybe under the stairs and in the bedrooms.

2. Somewhere for services such as boiler, hot water tank (maybe not with a combi), MVHR, meters etc. This might be upstairs.

3. Positioning windows to capture light at the best time of the day, so if you sleep late you might prefer a west facing window for example. It also depends on views of the garden etc

4. I would consider having two small entrance halls.

a. You could have one in front of the stairs with a door to outside, door to the bedroom and door to the main living area, just move the bathroom to the other side of the bedroom.

b. You could make the small hall between the other bedroom and the living area larger and again have a door to outside in there, this way if the bathroom is off a hall and not off the bedroom you will meet the downstairs accessible toilet requirements.

This way, each person has their own entrance, but you don't have outside doors in all the large rooms where you will lose a lot of heat when you open them and the rooms are a little separated from the main living room. Also if anyone has visitors they can bring them in their own front door and into their own small hallway.

5. You can still have large windows that are French doors in each bedroom if you want to get straight outside, but not have an actual front door in the bedroom which would seem odd if you ever came to sell the house.

Hope this helps, if you really want to do this you will probably have to get an architect or architectural technician involved to try and understand your needs and what might work best for you.

How much you spend really depends a lot on what kind of finishes etc you want. If it is nothing too fancy you are probably looking at £1500/m2 but lots of nice fittings and finishes are what can push this higher. Certainly reducing the amount of glass and doors would save a bit of money.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have filled out my initial post as our requirements are somewhat unique. :P I kept the plan fairly simple mainly to show our needs, enough seating and dining for a family christmas and our unique bedrooms, rather then the specifics. So long as those are met the rest can be designed in as cost effective manner as possible. We aren't after anything fancy finish wise, just something that will last. The only two windows we really care about keeping large are the ones in the two bedrooms that look to the right on the picture as they will give a wonderful view of our garden.

Edited by Falesh