Cylinders for ASHP

Roz

Just needs a low temperature coil.  One fitted with a "solar" coil will usually, be OK, but quite a few manufacturers now offer cylinders with a heat pump coil.  The difference is that a UVC intended for use with a boiler will have a coil that works OK with a high flow temperature, around 55°C to 65°C, whereas for use with a heat pump the coil needs to work OK at a lower temperature, typically around 45°C to 50°C.  The difference is that the low temperature coil will be physically larger inside the cylinder, to allow it to work efficiently at a lower temperature.

• Thanks 1

I bought the Telford one with the high capacity heat pump input coil.  It is basically a larger input coil than standard tanks (goes right from the top to the bottom of the tank) and is corrugated to increase the surface area.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I bought the Telford one with the high capacity heat pump input coil.  It is basically a larger input coil than standard tanks (goes right from the top to the bottom of the tank) and is corrugated to increase the surface area.

and I did ?

Thanks everyone! Just had a quick look at one online. I’ve been quoted for a Mitsubishi ecodan and slimline cylinder, but this one seems smaller than that but it’s a bigger capacity. I suppose I should add on pipe space? How much space do yours take up? 

is the fitting for this the same as a regular unvented cylinder? I got a price for fitting one before from a UVC guy so wondering if it would be the same. The mechanical install cost from the heat pump quotes is a bit high for our budget. So thinking about how I can break it down. 

haha thanks @peterw , are there actually discounts to be had with these things (without offering compromising pics of course)

anyone want to measure their cylinder with pipes? ? ie what is the minimum cupboard space I might get away with. I can see dimensions online which seem a lot smaller than similar slimline pre plumbed from mitsubishi, so wondering how much space its likely to take up once plumbed. @PeterW @joe90 @ProDave @Jeremy Harris (not sure if you also have this Telford Jeremy).

Also is the fitting of it basically the same job as a regular unvented cylinder? Im trying to understand the quotes Im getting. Thanks all!

I would say 700mm by 700mm by 1.8M tall for us. Perhaps my plumbing is not as tight as @joe90

Ours pushes into the coombe space of a room with a sloping ceiling so there was no room to put the expansion vessel above it, so in our case it is behind it, accessed from the side.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

My DHW cylinder fits into a space 600mm wide, 700mm deep 1.7m high, including pipes, add 300mm high fir expansion tank.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I would say 700mm by 700mm by 1.8M tall for us. Perhaps my plumbing is not as tight as @joe90

Ours pushes into the coombe space of a room with a sloping ceiling so there was no room to put the expansion vessel above it, so in our case it is behind it, accessed from the side.

oh I didn’t know about expansion tanks, don’t have room for that either... how close do they have to be? Would the Mitsubishi slimline not have one as that wasn’t mentioned when assessing space For that.

thanks so much for measuring!