CCTV guidance

Hi all

I am planning to install cctv at the front and rear of my maisonette.  I was considering Ubiquiti as their products are very good but I have learnt that their routers send data back to them. Anonymous and encrypted, but no warning so I’m a bit hesitant.

I’ve come across Hikvision as well but their aftercare doesn’t appear to be that good.

If you have any suggestions for cctv then please let me know.

Thank you 

S

If you're in the Apple ecosystem, then "HomeKit Secure Video" ensures high levels of security and only local processing of the video. That's what I will be going for. 

It is quite new so cameras with it are only just now becoming available. Netatmo and Eve have both announced them recently.

(The software at launch is lacking some features and has some reported bugs, but it will be improved fast so it does not cause me concern.)

I've had a recommendation to look at Amcrest products for a good value alternative to Hikvision (the latter being caught up in some of the ongoing USA Vs Huawei conspiracy too)

Like Hikvision, you can use Amcrest cameras with BlueIris (Windows), Synology  Nas servers (surveillance station), or with their own NVR.

I see Amcrest have recently released a nice looking doorbell too, looks one the the best received camera doorbells that are local only / don't require a cloud service

Caveat: I've not tried any of the above yet. Just building my own shopping list. 

Thank you for your helpful replies!

@dreadnaught I would have considered the Apple HomeKit system but I just do not want any cloud services because I don't trust them.

@joth Thank you!  I will have a look into Amcrest :) 

I manage maintenance and facilities for a large manufacturing business. All my contacts in relation to cctv recommend Hikvision as their go to product. Top quality and first class back up so I am really surprised at your post. I have a Hik-Connect system set up at my own home and we like it but can’t comment on back up as it just worked as soon as I wired it up.

I am no expert in this field but we have bought cheap n nasty kits from China for one off product monitoring as part of sample trials and these have also been excellent.

I am not expert and this post is of no help but just wanted you to be aware of a brand you mentioned ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 16:46, Dreadnaught said:

If you're in the Apple ecosystem, then "HomeKit Secure Video" ensures high levels of security and only local processing of the video. That's what I will be going for. 

It is quite new so cameras with it are only just now becoming available. Netatmo and Eve have both announced them recently.

(The software at launch is lacking some features and has some reported bugs, but it will be improved fast so it does not cause me concern.)

I took delivery of these yesterday - tempted by the £50 off (valid to 9th February)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-eufyCam-Wireless-Weatherproof-Compatible/dp/B07W4MY7HL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=XK41J3NB2EXU&keywords=eufycam+2c&qid=1580983683&sprefix=eufy+cam%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-3

I wanted something portable that I could move around as we move into the new house.  These seemed to fit the bill although a bit of an impulse buy.  There is on board storage in the hub so no need for a cloud or subscription if you don't want to, they are Homekit compatible and I read somewhere that they will be upgraded to HomeKit Secure Video in future.

Easy to set up, easy to use App.  I think the issue may well be battery life - this model (2C) promises 180 days before you have to take them down and recharge them but I'll believe that when I see it.  The Eufy 2 promises 365 days of battery life but I didn't want to pay £150 more for them.

Edited by Cambs
Typo
  • Like 1