Basement floor options and integrated garage access

Due to the levels on site, the car access to an integrated garage means it s 875mm below the floor level of the entrance hall of the house i am designing, as the section below shows.

737675128_garage-entranceleveldifference.thumb.jpg.378f62a2af96d9b95e33dd41913f7c0c.jpg

I want to get access to the integrated garage from the entrance hall so there will be a door between them. There are two options to make up the level difference, stairs the garage side or curved within the entrance hall. These options are shown in the attached diagram.

I think that the easier build is to put the steps in the garage, but want to make sure that it won't cause issues in the space taken up by the steps, though looking at the plans the steps in the garage are mainly within the door arc so that area will need to be kept free anyway. Looking at an estate car these are about 4700mm long, so there should be just enough space.

Also while i am on the subject, how do you thermally insulation the door properly between the garage and entrance hall?

Basement floor options.pdf

Edited by Moonshine

36 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I know it would take space but I would prefer a quarter landing in the hall and 2 steps.

Thanks i hadn't thought of that, but i do think that it takes up too much space, and make make any under stairs storage  difficult /awkward to get to

There is another factor of having the stairs in the entrance hall which is as this is a basement there is a retaining wall to the rear of the garage and entrance hall. 

Having the sunken steps here seems to me that it will make for complex (aka expensive) detailing / foundations / slabs.

• 1 month later...
On 28/01/2020 at 19:43, Jonny said:

Is it viable to put the stairs on the opposite wall and walk under the stairs to the garage? Just like Narnia!

Unfortunately not as it messes with the layout of the house above.

I have ended up with as below (ignore the missing hatching), its tight with the car (estate) and the stairs but should work, especially if parked at a slight angle

image.thumb.png.d52a0c890ba1906bf41b2eb7761dbae4.png

13 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Is it possible to swap the garage door opening and the 860 length "wall" so the car enters on the other side from the three step?

I was hoping not to, as the "860mm" section of wall is in the ground, and more excavation will be needed.

But to get it to work more excavation may be required and a larger garage door put in.

So the footprint of the 3 steps in the garage is shown as 750 x 1100.  Cant that 1100 taper from the door to something more like 800 (given the door only offers 768 clear anyway). That way you could potentially drive 300mm deeper into the garage before smashing the drivers side headlight into the corner of the steps.

8 hours ago, mvincentd said:

So the footprint of the 3 steps in the garage is shown as 750 x 1100.  Cant that 1100 taper from the door to something more like 800 (given the door only offers 768 clear anyway). That way you could potentially drive 300mm deeper into the garage before smashing the drivers side headlight into the corner of the steps.

There is probably something like that which could be done, though may expand the width of the garage door to get the car further across.