Wot lights to choose..

zoothorn

Hi- (for my 2-room extention) I'd like some help choosing lights, to go in a very low H room (2m). And 2x ceiling flush spot types in bedroom (2.3m H) above.

Its essentially a workshop below. I just need ~6x o'head lights around sides of room, over worktops. Just best budget option thesedays. 

Maybe a few same spots in lower 'workshop' room too instead of floury strip things? as ceiling is so low they'd take up least space, & look neater maybe.. surely better if I have to sell, take out worktops & make this is a spare bedroom to have neater ceiling spots rather than ugly floury strips.

Ideas appreciated, zoot

Don’t use spots. 

Use LED in both the upstairs room and the workshop. 

Use LED batten on the walls in the in the workshop mounted on angled timber at the wall/ceiling junction and you will only need either end of the work bench and possibly one on the other side of the room. They are really bright and it also means you don’t need to cut into the ceiling and you won’t get dark spots. 

Upstairs use the small round LED units that me and @Jeremy Harris have used and they are very clean and bright.   

@PeterW ok so 'small round led units' for upstairs.. do you have a link to which you & JSH used? are they not all pretty cold colour-temp compared to the nice warm older GU10 haogens?

The link is a glazer Co indeed.. but shows the typical ceiling 'spot' lights I was referring to, as I thought they're called.

thanks- zoot

16 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@PeterW ok so 'small round led units' for upstairs.. do you have a link to which you & JSH used? are they not all pretty cold colour-temp compared to the nice warm older GU10 haogens?

The link is a glazer Co indeed.. but shows the typical ceiling 'spot' lights I was referring to, as I thought they're called.

thanks- zoot

these

https://www.ledkia.com/uk/79-buy-basic-ultraslim-led-downlights

The K rating is the warm to cold change - basically lower the number, warmer the light. 

22 hours ago, PeterW said:

these

https://www.ledkia.com/uk/79-buy-basic-ultraslim-led-downlights

The K rating is the warm to cold change - basically lower the number, warmer the light. 

Ok thanks for the suggestion: what would be the benefit of 2 of these, over say 3 ceiling small round downlights tho? as the ceiling's so low (just 5" above my head) I don't want anything firing at me.. or anything bright, if I put strip things in corners this might be the case. Plus dust: it'll be extremely dusty in here so brushing/ cleaning lights constantly- easier if ceiling downlights to just brush across once.

Edited by zoothorn

+1 to most of the above. We fitted GU10 and would go a different route now. GU10 are ok if you fit wide angle LED bulbs but they seem to be getting harder to find - at least in physical stores. 

1 hour ago, Temp said:

+1 to most of the above. We fitted GU10 and would go a different route now. GU10 are ok if you fit wide angle LED bulbs but they seem to be getting harder to find - at least in physical stores. 

So the problem with these ceiling downlights, is that now theyre led they tend not to have the spread/ 'wide angle' as old halogen gu10.

Is this what's being said as the basic 'issue' with these?

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Ok thanks for the suggestion: what would be the benefit of 2 of these, over say 3 ceiling small round downlights tho? as the ceiling's so low (just 5" above my head) I don't want anything firing at me.. or anything bright, if I put strip things in corners this might be the case. Plus dust: it'll be extremely dusty in here so brushing/ cleaning lights constantly- easier if ceiling downlights to just brush across once.

You haven’t read my message .....

Use LED Battens in the workshop - nothing in the ceiling 

Use LED panels/round lights in the bedroom - 4 to 6 is ideal

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

I have read all your posts, all aspects of them- appreciated etc. My ceiling is so low though, that it might mean these led batten things are firing at me as much as the worktops. So, it might mean choosing not neccessarily the -best- light, but one that's best for my situaion (flush in ceiling does seem to me better with this in mind, maybe).

You set them at 45 degrees in the angle between the wall and ceiling ... the ones either side of the bench work really well.  A mate restores clocks and he has a light either side of a 10ft bench and one in the middle and there are no shadows anywhere on the bench and the light is fine. 

10 hours ago, zoothorn said:

So the problem with these ceiling downlights, is that now theyre led they tend not to have the spread/ 'wide angle' as old halogen gu10.

Is this what's being said as the basic 'issue' with these?

No there are other issues with GU10 LED as well. Each GU10 bulb has to contain a circuit to reduce mains voltage to suit the LED chips. That circuit tends to fail before the LEDs themselves. 

On "proper" LED fittings with non-replaceable bulbs that circuit doesn't have to be crammed into the bulb it can be bigger and runs cooler.

On 29/01/2020 at 14:03, PeterW said:

Hi there Peter. I'm just getting going on the electrics job, so going over the thread.

I will go with your suggestion here of LED battens in workshop after all. The ones you linked to are very bright @ 4800 l.. which is so I think (its complicated) equivalent to about 400w-500w in old school bulbs. This will be excessively bright, say 2x, with my low 2m room.

Can they be put on a dimmer? I like your suggested https://www.bltdirect.com/v-tac-led-batten-40w-warm-white-3000k-4800lm-with-samsung-chip because they're only ones I see in warm white/ what I want (I hate the cold daylight 4000k+ anywhere, especially in bedroom above/ a total no-no).. but they're WAY too bright. Screwfix battens have no mention of colour temp, so I cannot go for these.. altho much better for brightness (far lower @ approx 400 l).

Its very complicated understanding all the new types! Led 'panels' (for ceiling round downlights) I can't see in screwfix, & via the link you put are only available in cold daylight, not simply 'warm white' (bewildering).

thanks for any help- Im floundering yet again here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having to go with some my electrician say are 'fire-rated' which I hadn't even accounted for (good job he checked before I bought or my part-p chap wouldn't have been able to give me the doc > unable to get the build signed off). I think integrated led types. 'Panels'? I don't know.

So I need a dimmer switch as 6x @ 60w just above my head (room 1.95m), will be massively too bright.

What I need to establish now, is what type of dimmer switch is compatible with these lights then: https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-cosmoseco-fixed-fire-rated-led-downlight-contractor-pack-matt-white-500lm-5-5w-220-240v-10-pack/891GX?tc=AA4&ds_kid=92700049750406388&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249401&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1248154&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx4OEyrfR5wIVxrHtCh3dvQrzEAQYASABEgIJ8PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can anyone help?

What I know is these lights are 'trailing edge' types.

So presumably this (^ above) LAP "leading or trailing edge" dimmer switch is compatible in this aspect.

Is there anything else I need to establish tho? ie 'gang' type, or anything else?

Edited by zoothorn