Floor drain: can I get away with ...

ToughButterCup

When our Piggery floor was poured, (not subject to Building Regs)  I built a surface drain into it so we could sluice the floor. The Piggery is to become a drying room.

In terms of the foul drain piping, I thought we should  connect that floor drain to the foul drain. Technically, I don't think we are required to. 

I took the plastic cover off the floor drain today, and more out of curiosity than anything, I threw a bucket of water down it. The water promptly disappeared. I poured a good few gallons of water and some disinfectant down it. Same thing.

But there's no piping attached to the drain. ? A few more gallons. Disappeared. Cup of tea, scratch head.

Click.

The Piggery is built on a ring beam supported by 8 piles (stone improvement columns.) like this.

So I think I might have 8 soakaways under the building. The drain is within millimeters of a pile. The water's going down the drain and straight into the compacted limestone chippings which make up the pile. Unfortunately the drain is of the type that doesnt allow an inspection camera to go down it, otherwaise I would have had a quick peek.

Since we are only going to use the Piggery for  drying muddy boots and clothes, and maybe put a condensing tumble drier in, do you think I should try and get away with leaving it as it is? No need to connect up to the foul drain?

I must have thrown ten gallons - bucket full at a time - down the drain earlier today - all of it disappeared in seconds.

What do you think?

How high is your water table, any chance if you leave it you might get water coming up, or that it won’t drain like it is if water table rises. 

If you answer no to both then why not leave it alone. 

I know someone who installed a shower in an outbuilding with no drain just a pipe out the wall into the field next door. 

35 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

How high is your water table, any chance if you leave it you might get water coming up, or that it won’t drain like it is if water table rises. ...

It was built in 2018- plenty of rain since then. Plenty of time for it to back up.- maybe the 8 Soakaways are why?

19 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

My only suggestion would be some kind of sump before the outlet as eventually the mud washed off said boots will clog the top of your massive soak away. 

Good point. I'll sort that out- Thanks!

Talking about massive, I Iooked up-the piling records-

The column is 3.8 meters deep by 400 wide : at a guess that's 1.5 Cubic Meters- more than enough